Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program provides free tax-preparation services to low-to-mid-income tax-filers. The Unity Council has partnered with St. Mary’s College and UC Berkeley to recruit business and accounting students to provide volunteer tax-prep services. All volunteers are IRS certified. Services are available in English and Spanish, and we can provide translation in Mam and Mandarin.
Our VITA site is now open through April 13th! To make an appointment Call (510) 535-6101 or email VITA@unitycouncil.org.
Hours of Operation:
Monday from 10:30-5:00 pm. Drop off’s only at 1900 Fruitvale Avenue, Oakland CA 94601
Tuesday – Friday at 10:30 am – 5:00 pm. By Appointment Only at 3301 E 12th Street, 2nd Floor Oakland, CA 94601
Saturday 10:30 – 3:00 pm (Saturday Service Dates: March 16th, March 23rd, March 30th, April 6th, April 13th). By Appointment Only.
Closed on 2/18/19 (Presidents Day) 4/1/19 (Cesar Chavez Day)
We are able to support Spanish, Mam, and Mandarin language translation.
What should I bring to my appointment?
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for you, your spouse and dependents
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- All Forms 1095, Health Insurance Statements
- Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statements
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable (example: unemployment benefits)
- Optional: A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
VITA Site Coordinator