The Unity Council stands in solidarity with our AAPI community members – our employees, our clients, our neighbors – and commits to upholding our value of equity: that all people have the right to be free from violence and to live, work, and thrive in their neighborhood without regard to race, income, language or background. This weekend many of us rallied in Oakland, San Francisco, San Jose, and throughout the nation to demand justice for the AAPI community. The attacks in Atlanta enrage and offend us, but they do not shock us. Once again, we see the most vulnerable members of the Asian community – immigrants, women, the elderly – victimized and targeted by white supremacy, fueled by hate and bigotry, and a discriminatory culture that permits the sexual objectification of Asian women and allows for the dehumanization of a non-white community. The scale of these attacks is stomach turning. But we have seen far too many lesser crimes go unpunished or unnoticed right here at home. This is a national crisis and we stand with our Asian American & Pacific Islander colleagues in demanding justice and action both nationally and locally.
Resources & Links to Support
Thanks to our friends at Coro Northern California for compiling this list of resources:
- Stop AAPI Hate: How to report an incident and find resources.
- Safety Tips for anyone experiencing or witnessing hate.
- Bystander Resources: Trainings on how to respond when witnessing hate and harassment.
- The Asian Pacific Fund is raising money for Bay Area community organizations working to combat anti-Asian racism.
- Additional ways to donate in support of AAPI communities.
- PBS Documentary Series: The impact of Asian Americans on the country’s past, present, and future.
*Image created by and used with permission of @soni_artist on Instagram.