Help us design the 2019 Día de los Muertos Festival Poster. Every year, The Unity Council makes a call to artists and community members to submit artwork to be featured on the official Dia de los Muertos poster. The art chosen is selected by a community panel, who looks at the quality of the work, its ability to be reproduced as a poster and t-shirt, its connection to the theme, and the connection the artist has to the community. The art chosen is then reproduced and shown on billboards, t-shirts, posters, and online, and is seen by the 60,000+ people at the festival, and thousands more leading up to it.
The winning artist will receive a cash prize, a booth space at the festival, and free Dia merchandise. OAKLAND artists are strongly encouraged to submit artwork!
2019 FESTIVAL THEME: The Unity Council has adopted the theme of Los Ausentes (The Absent), paying respect to those who are no longer with us, whether they are loved ones who have passed away, or members of this very community who have been displaced due to deportation, gentrification, or incarceration. For every loved one who has passed into the afterlife… For every family member who is hopelessly waiting across an ocean or border fence… For every person missing someone behind bars… Join us to pay tribute and celebrate Los Ausentes.
EXTENDED DEADLINE: Submissions due June 5th, 2019 at 5:00 PM
Submit online: Upload your artwork and artist statement to this dropbox folder http://bit.ly/2019DiaPosterArt
You do not need to have a Dropbox account to upload your work.
Submit in person or mail: Drop off or mail your work to Itzel Diaz, Development & Communications Manager at The Unity Council’s headquarters at 1900 Fruitvale Ave, Suite 2A, Oakland CA 94601
Submissions that do not meet the following requirements will not be considered for the 2019 Dia De Los Muertos Poster Contest.
- Submission must include a one-page artist statement with your submission telling us about your work and your connection to the community. Please include your current email or phone number to contact you.
- Must be 12″ wide x 24” high.
- Submissions must not exceed a maximum of 8 colors. Poster art will be displayed on Outdoor billboards, flyers, posters, banners, and T-shirts. Color requirements must allow for various printing restrictions.
- Submissions created in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, or InDesign should be exported to either a vector graphic (PNG or EPS) or to a PDF with a minimum resolution of 300 dpi
- Submissions created on paper or canvas should be scanned or photographed with the highest resolution possible and saved as a JPG or TIFF.
**The winner will be required to execute The Unity Council’s Artist Contract prior to receiving the cash award, through which the Artist will grant The Unity Council and A2Z Media Group a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, worldwide license to publicly display, reproduce, and distribute the work, in and through all media and methods of transmission, and in connection with commercial and non-commercial uses.