Help us design the 2018 Día de los Muertos Festival Poster. Every year, The Unity Council makes a call to artists and community members to submit artwork to be featured on the official Dia de los Muertos poster. The art chosen is selected by a community panel, who looks at the quality of the work, its ability to be reproduced as a poster and t-shirt, its connection to the theme, and the connection the artist has to the community. The art chosen is then reproduced and shown on billboards, t-shirts, posters, and online, and is seen by the 60,000+ people at the festival, and thousands more leading up to it.
The winning artist will receive a cash prize, a booth space at the festival, and free Dia merchandise. FRUITVALE and EAST OAKLAND artists are strongly encouraged to apply!
The 2018 festival theme is “A Dream for All”
SUBMISSIONS DUE JUNE 15, 2018
Submit online: Upload your artwork and artist statement to this dropbox folder http://bit.ly/2018DiaPosterArt. You do not need to have a Dropbox account to upload your work.
Submit in person: Drop off your work to The Unity Council’s headquarters at 1900 Fruitvale Ave, Suite 2A, Oakland CA 94601
- Chris Iglesias, CEO of The Unity Council
- Maria Sanchez, Program Manager of The Unity Council’s Fruitvale Business Improvement District
- Zuleyka Jinks, Co-Founder & Chief Creative Officer of A2Z Media Group
- Evelyn Orantes, Curatorial and Exhibit Development Consultant. Former Senior Experience Developer at Oakland Museum of California.
- Virginia Jardim, Retired Art Professor from the California College of the Arts and founder of the Athena Project
- Victor Moreno, Fruitvale community member, art lover, and activist
- Beatriz Mora, Fruitvale community member
Requirements: Submissions that do not meet the following requirements will not be considered for the 2018 Dia De Los Muertos Poster Contest.
- Submission must include a one-page artist statement with your submission telling us about your work and your connection to the community. Please include your current email or phone number to contact you.
- Must be 12″ wide x 24” high.
- Submissions must not exceed a maximum of 8 colors. Poster art will be displayed on Outdoor billboards, flyers, posters, banners, and T-shirts. Color requirements must allow for various printing restrictions.
- Submissions created in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, or InDesign should be exported to either a vector graphic (PNG or EPS) or to a PDF with a minimum resolution of 300 dpi
- Submissions created on paper or canvas should be scanned or photographed with the highest resolution possible and saved as a JPG or TIFF.
**The winner will be required to execute The Unity Council’s Artist Contract prior to receiving the cash award, through which the Artist will grant The Unity Council and A2Z Media Group a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, worldwide license to publicly display, reproduce, and distribute the work, in and through all media and methods of transmission, and in connection with commercial and non-commercial uses.