Now in its 22nd year, The Unity Council Día de Los Muertos Festival is a free, outdoor festival that brings over 60,000 people to the vibrant, culturally-rich Fruitvale neighborhood to enjoy world-class live music, family friendly games, rides and activities, traditional Latin American artisans, and the stunning altar artistic installations created by community members paying homage to los muertos. Families across California join us to experience live music, Ballet folklorico, Aztec dancers and to shop at the local artisan craft stands. The Día de los Muertos Festival was inducted into the U.S. Library of Congress by Congresswoman Barbara Lee as a “Local Legacy.”
2017 Poster Contest
The Unity Council is looking for artists to design our 2017 Día de Los Muertos Festival Poster. This year’s theme is “Life, Art, Oakland.”
The winning artist will receive a *cash prize* and a free festival t-shirt. Fruitvale and East Oakland artists are strongly encouraged to apply!
SUBMISSIONS DUE AUGUST 1, 2017
- Please submit your original artwork in horizontal (“landscape”) format. Poster art will be used on billboards, flyers, shirts, and banners and we need the original design to allow for these formats.
- Please include a one-page artist statement/cover letter with your submission telling us about your work and your connection to the community. Please include your current email or phone number to contact you.
- Artists are encouraged to incorporate the 2017 Día de Los Muertos theme of “Life, Art, Oakland.” into their designs.
Submit in person: Drop off your work to The Unity Council’s headquarters at 1900 Fruitvale Ave, Suite 2A, Oakland CA 94601
If you have any questions email Itzel Diaz at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 510-535-6914
2017 Applications for booth vendors will be available on August 1, 2017
- Festival guests are encouraged to contribute their own small offering or drop off pictures of loved ones that are no longer with us to the Community Altar located on the corner of East 12th Ave and Avenida de la Fuente.
- Continuous entertainment on three stages- Hosted in the past by Telemundo, 93.3 La Raza, Mundo Fox/Estrella and 102.9 KBLX.
- Carnival rides will be on-site at the children’s pavilion.
- Authentic food, drinks, and other festival favorites will be available for purchase from a variety of local vendors and concessionaires.
Thank you for your support, this event could not be possible without the help of our sponsors.