The Unity Council’s Summer Earn and Learn 7-week program is sponsored by The City of Oakland’s Summer Youth Employment Program to provide Oakland youth, ages 16-21, opportunities to earn money, gain meaningful work experience, and improve their job-readiness skills. The program offers help managing your basic needs: transportation, food, phone bill, child care, etc., as well as an anticipated hourly rate of $15.00-$16.00/hour.
This year’s program is estimated to start around mid June or the beginning of July 2022. More details coming soon!
- Must be an Oakland resident
- 16-21 years of age
- SS and ITIN are acceptable
- If under 18 years of age, school work permit is required
- Fill out intake form – Will be available April 2022
- Attend an Orientation – Coming May 2022
- Individual and group coaching sessions
- Earn $300 for the virtual facilitation portion and $1120 for the job site experience
- Week 1-2: Job Readiness Training (anticipated M – F, 2 hours/day = 20 hours)
- Week 3: Placement and Orientation to Job Sites (anticipated 5 hours
- Week 4-6: Job Placement experience (up to 100 hours hours)
- Week 7: Program wrap-up (5 hours)
Derrick Barbosa, Youth Career Coordinator
Call or text (510) 535-6101