Children & Family Services: Teacher II
Children & Family Services
Oakland, CA or Concord, CA
Monday through Friday
Local travel may be required
$17.45 through $21.05 per hour
Regular, Full-time, Non-Exempt
Two weeks of paid vacation a year, sick time, 13 holidays, up to five floating holidays based on employee status, medical and dental benefits on the first of the month following 30 days of employment, $25,000 life insurance policy at no cost to employee (with the option of increasing policy amount), flexible spending account for medical and dependent care costs, commuter benefits, 403(b) with employer match, and other benefits. We foster a joyful workplace and offer opportunities for professional development and growth.
The Unity Council is a nonprofit Social Equity Development Corporation with a 50-year history in the Fruitvale neighborhood of Oakland. Our mission is to promote social equity and improve quality of life by building vibrant communities where everyone can work, learn, and thrive.
Our programs aim to provide the community with the tools, knowledge, and resources to transform their lives and ultimately achieve their long-term educational, career, and financial goals. These holistic programs and services reach more than 8,000 individuals and families annually in five languages. Programs include: early childhood education, youth mentorship and leadership development, employment services, career readiness training, housing and financial stability, senior citizen services, affordable housing and neighborhood development, and arts and cultural events. The Unity Council employs a diverse workforce of more than 250 people who reflect the linguistic, cultural, and ethnic identity of the communities we serve. Our work expands beyond the Fruitvale district and now reaches across Oakland and into Concord.
The Children and Family Services programs include Head Start, Early Head Start, State Pre-Kindergarten, Home Based Services, and Developmental Play Groups. Over 900 children birth through kindergarten entry and 32 expectant parents and their families receive child development and comprehensive family services through the Unity Council. The programs are diverse, multilingual, developmentally appropriate, culturally responsive, and individualized for each child and family services are provided in four centers and two home based programs throughout Oakland and Monument Corridor neighborhood in Concord, CA.
Position SummaryUnder the guidance of the Site Director, the Teacher II position provides quality primary care giving for infants or toddlers in a safe and supervised early care and education setting. Promotes the social, emotional, physical, and cognitive development of Early Head Start children enrolled in the program.
- Teaching which includes curriculum development and daily lesson
- Communicating with parents
- Participating in parent activities
- Attendance at regular staff meetings
- Curriculum development and daily lesson planning
- Implementation of daily activities such as child-centered learning, planning indoor/outdoor activities, language extension
- Ongoing assessment of children in assigned group
- Supervision of an Aide (Assistant/Associate Teacher)
- Perform additional duties as assigned by supervising Teacher III, Site Director and Management.
- AA Degree preferred, or a minimum of 24 units in Early Childhood
Education from a regionally accredited institution and must be willing to
earn 3 units per semester towards AA degree & Children’s Center Permit.
- Minimum 2-3 years teaching experience working in a preschool setting
- Ability to create and implement daily curriculum plans
- Ability to work well harmoniously in a multi-cultural team
- Ability to promote feeling of security and trust in infants and toddlers by
being warm, supportive, and comforting
- Caring, compassionate approach to working with children and families as
well as maintaining an open, friendly and cooperative relationship with each child’s family
- Bilingual Spanish/English or Asian Language/English preferred
- Awareness of safe lifting techniques for lifting children, supplies and furnishings and commitment to using preventive health measures in the classroom to prevent the spread of disease.
This description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities or requirements for the position. This position may change or assume additional duties at any time.
- Physical exam
- TB test
- MMR and TDAP immunizations
- Background/Fingerprint clearance
Please send us your cover letter and resume in application for this position.
Please put “title of position, your name” in the subject line.
The Unity Council
Attention: Human Resources
1900 Fruitvale Ave., Suite 2B, Oakland, CA 94601
Fax: (510) 535-6923
The Unity Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.