Children & Family Services: Teacher I
Children & Family Services
Oakland, CA or Concord, CA
Monday through Friday
Local travel may be required
Regular, Full-time, Non-Exempt
Two weeks of paid vacation a year, sick time, 13 holidays, up to five floating holidays based on employee status, medical and dental benefits on the first of the month following 30 days of employment, $25,000 life insurance policy at no cost to employee (with the option of increasing policy amount), flexible spending account for medical and dependent care costs, commuter benefits, 403(b) with employer match, and other benefits. We foster a joyful workplace and offer opportunities for professional development and growth.
The Unity Council is a nonprofit Social Equity Development Corporation with a 50-year history in the Fruitvale neighborhood of Oakland. Our mission is to promote social equity and improve quality of life by building vibrant communities where everyone can work, learn, and thrive.
Our programs aim to provide the community with the tools, knowledge, and resources to transform their lives and ultimately achieve their long-term educational, career, and financial goals. These holistic programs and services reach more than 8,000 individuals and families annually in five languages. Programs include: early childhood education, youth mentorship and leadership development, employment services, career readiness training, housing and financial stability, senior citizen services, affordable housing and neighborhood development, and arts and cultural events. The Unity Council employs a diverse workforce of more than 250 people who reflect the linguistic, cultural, and ethnic identity of the communities we serve. Our work expands beyond the Fruitvale district and now reaches across Oakland and into Concord.
The Children and Family Services programs include Head Start, Early Head Start, State Pre-Kindergarten, Home Based Services, and Developmental Play Groups. Over 900 children birth through kindergarten entry and 32 expectant parents and their families receive child development and comprehensive family services through the Unity Council. The programs are diverse, multilingual, developmentally appropriate, culturally responsive, and individualized for each child and family services are provided in four centers and two home based programs throughout Oakland and Monument Corridor neighborhood in Concord, CA.
Position SummaryUnder the guidance of the Site Director, the Teacher I position provides quality primary care giving for infants or toddlers in a safe and supervised early care and education setting. Promotes the social, emotional, physical, and cognitive development of Early Head Start children enrolled in the program.
- Utilizing child observation and assessment results plan and implement curriculum that is responsive to the individual child and to the group of children served by the teaching team
- Engage in play-based, culturally responsive, child-centered curriculum
- Conduct developmental screens and assessments of children and support and coach associate teachers in the screening and assessment of children
- Provide responsive/attachment ready relationship based care and education with children including, joining in their play, and planning and leading active gross motor games
- Encourage open communication with families, invite families to actively participate in the classroom, and conduct two parent-teacher conferences and two home visits annually
- Maintain a healthy and safe environment using daily health checks, health and safety checklists, preventive health measures, and universal precautions regarding sanitation, hand washing, and diapering
- Maintain monthly and periodic reports for assigned children and classroom
- Attendance and participation at staff meetings and workshops
- Other assignments as requested by Site Director or Management
- Meet the requirements for an Associates Teacher Permit or have minimum of six units in Early Childhood Education and maintain enrollment to obtain an Associate’s permit within the first twelve months of hire.
- Teachers working with children in Early Head Start need six units in infant/toddler development.
- All teachers must have a college degree or participate in a professional development plan to obtain a degree
- Experience working with the age of the children served preschool children and/or infants and toddlers
- An ability to work with a multidisciplinary team including families, family advocates, supervisors, content area specialists, and consultants to provide child development and comprehensive family services to serve the whole child in the context of his family and community
- A desire to work in a diverse and inclusive environment
- Caring, compassionate approach to working with children, families, and colleagues
- Ability to lift children, up to 40 lbs, and get up and down from the floor without injury
- Bilingual Spanish/English or Asian Language/English preferred
- Physical ability to sit with children on their level and to lift infants and toddlers routinely in the birth though three programs and an ability to lift preschooler occasionally in the preschool programs and a commitment to utilize safe lifting techniques for lifting children, supplies and furnishings
- Ability to get up and down from the floor, lift infants and toddlers, squat or bend
- Requirements to assist children with dressing and toileting, walk quickly and at times run to keep up with toddlers, lift and pull up to 40 pounds, crawl, kneel, stoop, twist, grasp with both hands and fingers, use arms and legs, able to walk and engage in active outdoor games.
This description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities or requirements for the position. This position may change or assume additional duties at any time.
- Physical exam
- TB test
- Background/Fingerprint clearance
- Measles, Pertussis, Influenza immunizations
Please send us your cover letter and resume in application for this position.
Please put “title of position, your name” in the subject line.
The Unity Council
Attention: Human Resources
1900 Fruitvale Ave., Suite 2B, Oakland, CA 94601
Fax: (510) 535-6923
The Unity Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.