Children & Family Services: Sub-Teacher
Children & Family Services
Oakland, CA or Concord, CA
Monday through Friday
Local travel may be required
$16.70 per hour
The Unity Council is a nonprofit Social Equity Development Corporation with a 50-year history in the Fruitvale neighborhood of Oakland. Our mission is to promote social equity and improve quality of life by building vibrant communities where everyone can work, learn, and thrive.
Our programs aim to provide the community with the tools, knowledge, and resources to transform their lives and ultimately achieve their long-term educational, career, and financial goals. These holistic programs and services reach more than 8,000 individuals and families annually in five languages. Programs include: early childhood education, youth mentorship and leadership development, employment services, career readiness training, housing and financial stability, senior citizen services, affordable housing and neighborhood development, and arts and cultural events. The Unity Council employs a diverse workforce of more than 250 people who reflect the linguistic, cultural, and ethnic identity of the communities we serve. Our work expands beyond the Fruitvale district and now reaches across Oakland and into Concord.
The Children and Family Services programs include Head Start, Early Head Start, State Pre-Kindergarten, Home Based Services, and Developmental Play Groups. Over 500 children birth through kindergarten entry and 12 expectant parents and their families receive child development and comprehensive family services through the Unity Council. The programs are diverse, multilingual, developmentally appropriate, culturally responsive, and individualized for each child and family services are provided in four centers and two home based programs throughout Oakland and Concord.
- Implement daily activities such as snack time, toileting, supervision of children’s activities and general clean-up
- Implementation of daily activities such as child-centered learning, assisting in planning, indoor/outdoor activity centers, language extension
- Assist with curriculum planning
- Assist in the evaluation of children’s progress
- Assist in communications with families
- Perform additional duties as assigned by supervision teacher, Site Director and management
- High School Diploma or GED preferred
- Minimum of 6 units of Early Childhood Education from a regionally accredited institution or currently working towards the completion of 6 semester units in ECE and the willingness to continue education
- One year experience working with infants/toddlers
- Ability to follow daily curriculum
- Ability to work well harmoniously in a multi-cultural team
- Caring, compassionate approach to working with children and families
- Bilingual Spanish/English or Asian Language/English preferred
- Awareness of safe lifting techniques for lifting children, supplies and furnishings and commitment to using preventive health measures in the classroom to prevent the spread of disease.
This description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities or requirements for the position. This position may change or assume additional duties at any time.
- Physical exam
- TB test
- MMR and TDAP immunizations
- Background/Fingerprint clearance
To Apply, please send us the following:
- cover letter
- copy of unofficial transcripts
Please put “title of position, your name” in the subject line.
The Unity Council
Attention: Human Resources
1900 Fruitvale Ave., Suite 2B, Oakland, CA 94601
Fax: (510) 535-6923
The Unity Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.