Real Estate & Development: Project Manager
Director of Real Estate Development
Real Estate & Development
Monday through Friday
Local travel may be required
Regular, Full-time, Exempt
Two weeks of paid vacation a year, sick time, 13 holidays, up to five floating holidays based on employee status, medical and dental benefits on the first of the month following 30 days of employment, life insurance policy at no cost to employee (with the option of increasing policy amount), flexible spending account for medical and dependent care costs, commuter benefits, 403(b) with employer match, and other benefits. We foster a joyful workplace and offer opportunities for professional development and growth.
The Unity Council is a nonprofit Social Equity Development Corporation with a 50-year history in the Fruitvale neighborhood of Oakland. Our mission is to promote social equity and improve quality of life by building vibrant communities where everyone can work, learn, and thrive.
Our programs aim to provide the community with the tools, knowledge, and resources to transform their lives and ultimately achieve their long-term educational, career, and financial goals. These holistic programs and services reach more than 8,000 individuals and families annually in five languages. Programs include: early childhood education, youth mentorship and leadership development, employment services, career readiness training, housing and financial stability, senior citizen services, affordable housing and neighborhood development, and arts and cultural events. The Unity Council employs a diverse workforce of more than 250 people who reflect the linguistic, cultural, and ethnic identity of the communities we serve. Our work expands beyond the Fruitvale district and now reaches across Oakland and into Concord.
Position SummaryThe Project Manager (PM) position works closely with the Director to promote, preserve and develop affordable housing, mixed use projects, commercial/retail, and community service spaces in keeping with TUC’s mission. The position is responsible for overseeing all stages of affordable housing development for approximately two to three projects at any given time (depending on size, complexity, and development phase of the projects) and ensures that objectives of each project are accomplished within prescribed time frames and funding parameters.
- Oversees and coordinates all stages of development including feasibility analysis, pre-development, design, project financing, construction, loan close-out and transition to property management for up to three (3) development projects at any given time.
- Develops and manages relationships with federal, state and local funders, government agencies, community and neighborhood groups, development partners and industry professionals. Represents TUC before government agencies, planning and zoning commissions, city council, and other community meetings to garner critical support and governmental approvals for potential projects.
- Researches and secures funding to support pre-development, construction, and permanent financing phases of development.
- Working closely with the Department Director, conducts feasibility studies and develops pro-forma financial projections for new projects.
- Develops detailed financial analyses and budgets.
- Identifies and manages development team members including architects, engineers, contractors, legal counsel and financial consultants. Manages progress of all team members through project completion.
- Prepares all project payment applications to government and commercial lenders in coordination with the accounting department.
- Collaborates with the property management department on the development of operating budgets and facilitates a seamless transition to occupancy and the long term viability of the property.
- Collaborates with the resident services department to prepare supportive service plans and identify sources of necessary funding.
- Participates in strategic planning and development of long-term growth objectives.
- Maintains electronic and hard copy project files; prepares files for removal to off-site storage at project close out.
- May directly supervise an Intern depending on the needs of the Department.
- Directs the work and activities of architects, engineers, contractors, legal counsel and financial consultants.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
Education and/or Experience
- A minimum of two years of experience in affordable housing development project management is required.
- Must demonstrate experience and successful track record overseeing all major phases of housing development including planning & entitlements, financing, construction, and conversion to occupancy.
- Master’s Degree in planning, business or a related field is desirable.
- Must be highly skilled in MS Office (Excel, Word, and Outlook).
Abilities and Attributes
- Commitment to TUC’s mission.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Highly independent, with ability to handle daily responsibilities and projects with minimal direction.
- Excellent organizational, time management and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and successfully meet deadlines.
- Must have effective interpersonal and conflict-resolution skills.
- Must be accurate and highly detail-oriented with follow-through skills.
- Must be pro-active in identifying and proposing viable solutions with the ability to exercise sound judgment in all matters.
- Must be able to work collaboratively with project teams, different levels of management, funders, government agencies, and a wide variety of individuals.
- Knowledge of affordable housing funding sources.
- Ability to perform detailed financial analyses of housing developments concerning site acquisition, pre-development activities, construction financing, and permanent financing.
- Ability to read and interpret architects’ drawings, legal documents and other complex documents.
This description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities or requirements for the position. This position may change or assume additional duties at any time.
- Background check
Please send us your cover letter and resume in application for this position.
Please put “title of position, your name” in the subject line.
The Unity Council
Attention: Human Resources
1900 Fruitvale Ave., Suite 2B, Oakland, CA 94601
Fax: (510) 535-6923
The Unity Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.