Property Management: Temp Maintenance Tech
Monday through Friday
Local travel may be required
Temporary, Full-Time, Non-Exempt
The Unity Council is a nonprofit Social Equity Development Corporation with a 50-year history in the Fruitvale neighborhood of Oakland. Our mission is to promote social equity and improve quality of life by building vibrant communities where everyone can work, learn, and thrive.
Our programs aim to provide the community with the tools, knowledge, and resources to transform their lives and ultimately achieve their long-term educational, career, and financial goals. These holistic programs and services reach more than 8,000 individuals and families annually in five languages. Programs include: early childhood education, youth mentorship and leadership development, employment services, career readiness training, housing and financial stability, senior citizen services, affordable housing and neighborhood development, and arts and cultural events. The Unity Council employs a diverse workforce of more than 250 people who reflect the linguistic, cultural, and ethnic identity of the communities we serve. Our work expands beyond the Fruitvale district and now reaches across Oakland and into Concord.
- Provide the highest level of customer service for residents, staff, and vendors
- Complete unit turn-over as assigned and/or coordinate completion with vendors
- Perform typical maintenance duties such as, but not limited to:
- Carpentry repairs (i.e. repair/replace locks, door hinges, door handles, etc.)
- Electrical repairs (i.e. appliances, lighting fixtures, outlets, etc.)
- Plumbing repairs (i.e. clearing stoppages, replace fittings, etc.)
- Painting, both interior and exterior as needed
- Perform HVAC troubleshooting and repairs, as needed
- Ensure that adequate lighting is maintained throughout property
- Maintain inventory control of all maintenance tools, equipment, and supplies
- Routinely inspect and evaluate the physical condition of grounds, common areas and building checking for safety compliance and correcting any safety hazards
- Comply with company safety policies and procedures, which includes attending safety meetings
- Participate in a standby emergency schedule for evening, weekend and holiday coverage
- Assist in custodial work as needed (i.e. sweeping, mopping, emptying trash, etc.)
- Other duties as assigned
This description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities or requirements for the position. This position may change or assume additional duties at any time.
- 1+ years of janitorial experience
- Ability to work early morning or late night shifts
- Ability to work well under minimal supervision
- Capacity to take direction
- Strong attention to detail
- Knowledge of cleaning chemicals and supplies
Must be able climb stairs, reach, bend, lift 20-30 pounds, crawl, kneel, stoop, twist, grasp with hands and fingers materials, use arms and legs, able to walk, climb ladders if applicable.
- Physical exam
- Background check
Please send us your cover letter and resume in application for this position.
Please put “title of position, your name” in the subject line.
The Unity Council
Attention: Human Resources
1900 Fruitvale Ave., Suite 2B, Oakland, CA 94601
Fax: (510) 535-6923
The Unity Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.