Property Management: Maintenance Technician
Monday through Friday
Local travel may be required
Regular, Full-time, Non-Exempt
Two weeks of paid vacation a year, sick time, 13 holidays, up to five floating holidays based on employee status, medical and dental benefits on the first of the month following 30 days of employment, life insurance policy at no cost to employee (with the option of increasing policy amount), flexible spending account for medical and dependent care costs, commuter benefits, 403(b) with employer match, and other benefits. We foster a joyful workplace and offer opportunities for professional development and growth.
The Unity Council is a nonprofit Social Equity Development Corporation with a 50-year history in the Fruitvale neighborhood of Oakland. Our mission is to promote social equity and improve quality of life by building vibrant communities where everyone can work, learn, and thrive.
Our programs aim to provide the community with the tools, knowledge, and resources to transform their lives and ultimately achieve their long-term educational, career, and financial goals. These holistic programs and services reach more than 8,000 individuals and families annually in five languages. Programs include: early childhood education, youth mentorship and leadership development, employment services, career readiness training, housing and financial stability, senior citizen services, affordable housing and neighborhood development, and arts and cultural events. The Unity Council employs a diverse workforce of more than 250 people who reflect the linguistic, cultural, and ethnic identity of the communities we serve. Our work expands beyond the Fruitvale district and now reaches across Oakland and into Concord.
Position SummaryUnder the supervision of the Property Manager, the Maintenance Technician is responsible for performing routine preventative maintenance and general repair work throughout the building, as well as with mechanical equipment and utility systems. Technicians are also responsible for the preparation of vacant units for occupancy
- Provide the highest level of customer service for residents, staff, and vendors
- Complete unit turn-over as assigned and/or coordinate completion with vendors
- Perform typical maintenance duties such as, but not limited to:
- Carpentry repairs (i.e. repair/replace locks, door hinges, door handles, etc.)
- Electrical repairs (i.e. appliances, lighting fixtures, outlets, etc.)
- Plumbing repairs (i.e. clearing stoppages, replace fittings, etc.)
- Painting, both interior and exterior as needed
- Perform HVAC troubleshooting and repairs, as needed
- Ensure that adequate lighting is maintained throughout property
- Maintain inventory control of all maintenance tools, equipment, and supplies
- Routinely inspect and evaluate the physical condition of grounds, common areas and building checking for safety compliance and correcting any safety hazards
- Comply with company safety policies and procedures, which includes attending safety meetings
- Participate in a standby emergency schedule for evening, weekend and holiday coverage
- Assist in custodial work as needed (i.e. sweeping, mopping, emptying trash, etc.)
- Monthly inspection of fire extinguisher/safety equipment
- May have to perform on call duties after hours.
- Other duties as assigned
This description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities or requirements for the position. This position may change or assume additional duties at any time.
- High school diploma or equivalent, college and/or trade school preferred
- Minimum of 2 years building maintenance experience or experience in a related field
- Knowledge of building maintenance and repair, including the ability to repair and maintain appliances, electrical, plumbing, and painting; HVAC and some carpentry experience preferred
- General understanding of the Microsoft Word and Excel, some experience with property management software preferred
- Must have good communication skills, written and verbal
- Must be able to handle daily responsibilities and projects with minimal direction
- Ability to work well with others and be dependable, reliable in attendance
- Bilingual Spanish preferred, but not mandatory
- Exposed to constant activity that requires intermittent standing, bending, crouching, pushing/pulling, lifting/moving/carrying, climbing ladders/stairs (must be able to lift/carry at least 30 lbs.)
- background check
Please send us your cover letter and resume in application for this position.
Please put “title of position, your name” in the subject line.
The Unity Council
Attention: Human Resources
1900 Fruitvale Ave., Suite 2B, Oakland, CA 94601
Fax: (510) 535-6923
The Unity Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.