Property Management: Janitor
Monday thorugh Friday
Local travel may be required
Regular, Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Two weeks of paid vacation a year, sick time, 13 holidays, up to five floating holidays based on employee status, medical and dental benefits on the first of the month following 30 days of employment, life insurance policy at no cost to employee (with the option of increasing policy amount), flexible spending account for medical and dependent care costs, commuter benefits, 403(b) with employer match, and other benefits. We foster a joyful workplace and offer opportunities for professional development and growth.
The Unity Council is a nonprofit Social Equity Development Corporation with a 50-year history in the Fruitvale neighborhood of Oakland. Our mission is to promote social equity and improve quality of life by building vibrant communities where everyone can work, learn, and thrive.
Our programs aim to provide the community with the tools, knowledge, and resources to transform their lives and ultimately achieve their long-term educational, career, and financial goals. These holistic programs and services reach more than 8,000 individuals and families annually in five languages. Programs include: early childhood education, youth mentorship and leadership development, employment services, career readiness training, housing and financial stability, senior citizen services, affordable housing and neighborhood development, and arts and cultural events. The Unity Council employs a diverse workforce of more than 250 people who reflect the linguistic, cultural, and ethnic identity of the communities we serve. Our work expands beyond the Fruitvale district and now reaches across Oakland and into Concord.
- Trash and recycle disposal (empty cans in kitchen, bathrooms, common areas and work stations).
- Wipe down and dust (handrails, conference rooms, printing room, walls, windows, and work stations).
- Vacuum suites.
- Deep clean kitchen (sweep, mop, dust, wash dishes, clean refrigerator, stove, microwave)
- Deep clean restrooms (sweep and mop floor, walls, sink, toilets)
- Clean stairwells (sweep and mop).
- Handle emergency cleaning and upkeep requests.
- Ensure rooms are maintained and fully equipped (restock paper towels, soap and toilet paper).
- Notify management of occurring deficiencies or needs for repairs.
- Maintain maintenance closet.
- Follow all health and safety regulations.
- Other duties as needed.
This description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities or requirements for the position. This position may change or assume additional duties at any time.
- 1+ years of janitorial experience
- Ability to work early morning or late night shifts
- Ability to work well under minimal supervision
- Capacity to take direction
- Strong attention to detail
- Knowledge of cleaning chemicals and supplies
Must be able climb stairs, reach, bend, lift 20-30 pounds, crawl, kneel, stoop, twist, grasp with hands and fingers materials, use arms and legs, able to walk, climb ladders if applicable.
- Physical exam
- Background check
Please send us your cover letter and resume in application for this position.
Please put “title of position, your name” in the subject line.
The Unity Council
Attention: Human Resources
1900 Fruitvale Ave., Suite 2B, Oakland, CA 94601
Fax: (510) 535-6923
The Unity Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.