Finance & Accounting: Property Accountant
Finance & Accounting
Monday through Friday
Loca travel may be required
$31.25-$36.06 per hour
Regular, Full-time, Non-Exempt
Two weeks of paid vacation a year, sick time, 13 holidays, up to five floating holidays based on employee status, medical and dental benefits on the first of the month following 30 days of employment, life insurance policy at no cost to employee (with the option of increasing policy amount), flexible spending account for medical and dependent care costs, commuter benefits, 403(b) with employer match, and other benefits. We foster a joyful workplace and offer opportunities for professional development and growth.
The Unity Council is a nonprofit Social Equity Development Corporation with a 50-year history in the Fruitvale neighborhood of Oakland. Our mission is to promote social equity and improve quality of life by building vibrant communities where everyone can work, learn, and thrive.
Our programs aim to provide the community with the tools, knowledge, and resources to transform their lives and ultimately achieve their long-term educational, career, and financial goals. These holistic programs and services reach more than 8,000 individuals and families annually in five languages. Programs include: early childhood education, youth mentorship and leadership development, employment services, career readiness training, housing and financial stability, senior citizen services, affordable housing and neighborhood development, and arts and cultural events. The Unity Council employs a diverse workforce of more than 250 people who reflect the linguistic, cultural, and ethnic identity of the communities we serve. Our work expands beyond the Fruitvale district and now reaches across Oakland and into Concord.
Position SummaryThe Property Accountant is responsible for accounting for both owned and third party managed properties and includes production of accurate and timely financial statements and all related reporting. Additionally, this position is responsible for real estate development accounting for projects in pre-development through construction along with the related accounts payable. The ability to provide customer service to other departments is critical as is the ability to follow and maintain internal controls procedures.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Review project-related accounts payable, cash receipts, payroll, and rent rolls for accuracy
- Prepare and maintain full balance sheet reconciliations for portfolios in operations.
- Review weekly cash receipts reports- ensure cash balance reconcile between Accounting System and bank deposit, tenant sub-ledger.
- Produce monthly tenant AR report to property managers and directors.
- Prepare monthly subsidy and cash receipt report to property managers.
- Produce monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports for internal and external reporting in accordance with a close calendar.
- Prepare recurring and adjusting journal entries, including cash, monthly accruals and amortization
- Reconcile all cash accounts.
- Review, investigate, and correct errors and inconsistencies in financial entries, documents, and reports.
- Prepare budget worksheets, and assist property management staff with annual project budget.
- Budget uploads and financial statement preparation
- Prepare transfers for intercompany payments.
- Prepare and reconcile annual CAM charge for FDC commercial lease.
- Process weekly FDC accountant payable.
- Provide financial analysis or other documentation
- Prepare annual RAP filing.
- Prepare annual 571L filing.
- Prepare annual Form SI -100 filling.
- Assisting with audit fieldwork for both operational and financial audits
- Prepare year- end work papers and supporting schedules for annual audit and Form 990;
- Record and reconciliation of pre-development costs related to a real estate development project.
- Review and reconciliation of draw schedules, and ensure development disbursement processed on time.
- Assist during cost certification and refinance process.
- Working closely with Real Estate Development team, and provide financial data to Real Estate Development team as requested.
- Perform additional duties as may be assigned.
- AA degree accounting, finance, or related field with 3 years of property accountant experience.
- Understanding of basic entity structures (corporations, LLCs, LPs) required
- Able to plan, organize, and prioritize workload to meet deadlines
- Experience with vendor account setup, including establishing terms and pricing.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to support personnel and management.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Highly detailed and excellent customer service skills.
- Strong presentation skills for educating internal clients on accounting principles.
Physical position requirements; machines and/or equipment used:
- Must be PC literate MS Office skills (Word and/or Excel).
- Regularly required to operate standard office equipment (personal computer, photocopy machine, calculator, fax machine, etc.).
- Ability to work on a computer up to 7 hours per day.
- Regularly required to sit for long periods of time, with periodic breaks.
- Regularly required to use hands to operate computer and other office equipment.
- Close vision required for computer usage.
- Occasionally may be required to stoop, kneel, climb stairs, and carry or lift files and/or one or two reams of copy paper.
- Standard office environment without unpleasant or hazardous conditions.
- Work entails typical physical demands involved in office work.
This description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities or requirements for the position. This position may change or assume additional duties at any time.
- background check
Please send us your cover letter and resume in application for this position.
Please put “title of position, your name” in the subject line.
The Unity Council
Attention: Human Resources
1900 Fruitvale Ave., Suite 2B, Oakland, CA 94601
Fax: (510) 535-6923
The Unity Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.