Finance & Accounting : Administrative Assistant
Grants and Contracts Financial Manager
Finance & Accounting
Monday through Friday
Local travel may be required
Regular, Part-time, Non-Exempt
The Unity Council is a nonprofit Social Equity Development Corporation with a 50-year history in the Fruitvale neighborhood of Oakland. Our mission is to promote social equity and improve quality of life by building vibrant communities where everyone can work, learn, and thrive.
Our programs aim to provide the community with the tools, knowledge, and resources to transform their lives and ultimately achieve their long-term educational, career, and financial goals. These holistic programs and services reach more than 8,000 individuals and families annually in five languages. Programs include: early childhood education, youth mentorship and leadership development, employment services, career readiness training, housing and financial stability, senior citizen services, affordable housing and neighborhood development, and arts and cultural events. The Unity Council employs a diverse workforce of more than 250 people who reflect the linguistic, cultural, and ethnic identity of the communities we serve. Our work expands beyond the Fruitvale district and now reaches across Oakland and into Concord.
Position SummaryThis position provides essential administrative support to the accounting department under the general supervision of the Grants & Contracts Financial Manager. Responsible for copying, filing and maintaining and setting up files. Additionally, assists in annual projects. This position demands a high level of efficiency, productivity, attention to detail and discretion. This support role is critical to the timely processing of monthly funder invoicing and maintenance of accurate and up-to-date records.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Copy and compile back-up, both accounts payable and payroll, for monthly funder billings.
- File vendor payments in accounts payable folders.
- File deposit information in monthly folders.
- File copies of payments, funder invoices and supporting documents, funder financial statements, and copies of contracts in grant folders.
- Create new grant folders as needed.
- Assist with grants administration.
- Prepare bank deposits and maintain daily cash receipts log.
- Process credit card charges
- Take deposits to the bank as needed.
- Assist with department projects such as the physical inventory.
- Assist with organizing accounting storage.
- Maintain and create accounting files as needed.
- Maintain audit distribution list and assist with annual audit report distribution to granting agencies and lending institutions.
- Make supply orders when needed.
- Drop off and pick up reports to various programs and agencies as needed including delivering and pickup of items from agencies outside of the Unity Council.
- Photocopy, fax, and other related office work
- Perform additional duties as may be assigned.
- Reconcile company credit card statement with receipts form card holders.
- Scan monthly documents into I drive as requested.
This description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities
or requirements for the position. This position may change or assume additional duties at any time.
- High School diploma or GED.
- 6 months of clerical employment or intern experience.
- Organized and logical in work habits.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to complete a task on time and efficiently.
- Ability to follow instructions.
- Ability to identify problems and seek help from supervisor.
- Ability to prioritize.
- Can communicate and cooperate with accounting team and other departments both verbally and in writing.
Physical position requirements; machines and/or equipment used:
- Must be PC literate MS Office skills (Word and/or Excel);
- Regularly required to operate standard office equipment (personal computer, photocopy machine, calculator, fax machine, etc.);
- Ability to work on a computer up to 7 hours per day;
- Regularly required to sit for long periods of time, with periodic breaks;
- Regularly required to use hands to operate computer and other office equipment;
- Close vision required for computer usage;
- Occasionally may be required to stoop, kneel, climb stairs, and carry or lift file boxes of up to 30 lbs. and/or one or two reams of copy paper.
- background check
Please send us your cover letter and resume in application for this position.
Please put “title of position, your name” in the subject line.
The Unity Council
Attention: Human Resources
1900 Fruitvale Ave., Suite 2B, Oakland, CA 94601
Fax: (510) 535-6923
The Unity Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.