Development & Communications: Development & Communications Associate
Director of Development & Communications
Development & Communications
Monday through Friday
Local travel may be required
Starting wage at $21.50
Regular, Full-time, Non-Exempt
Two weeks of paid vacation a year, sick time, 13 holidays, up to five floating holidays based on employee status, medical and dental benefits on the first of the month following 30 days of employment, life insurance policy at no cost to employee (with the option of increasing policy amount), flexible spending account for medical and dependent care costs, commuter benefits, 403(b) with employer match, and other benefits. We foster a joyful workplace and offer opportunities for professional development and growth.
The Unity Council is a nonprofit Social Equity Development Corporation with a 50-year history in the Fruitvale neighborhood of Oakland. Our mission is to promote social equity and improve quality of life by building vibrant communities where everyone can work, learn, and thrive.
Our programs aim to provide the community with the tools, knowledge, and resources to transform their lives and ultimately achieve their long-term educational, career, and financial goals. These holistic programs and services reach more than 8,000 individuals and families annually in five languages. Programs include: early childhood education, youth mentorship and leadership development, employment services, career readiness training, housing and financial stability, senior citizen services, affordable housing and neighborhood development, and arts and cultural events. The Unity Council employs a diverse workforce of more than 250 people who reflect the linguistic, cultural, and ethnic identity of the communities we serve. Our work expands beyond the Fruitvale district and now reaches across Oakland and into Concord.
The Development and Communications Department is responsible for planning and executing fundraising campaigns and communications strategies that fulfill the organization’s goals as determined by the Chief Executive Officer and Chief Operations Officer. The department oversees the organization of all fundraising events, the Annual Dia de los Muertos festival, and provides support to other departments in the organization of staff only events.
Position SummaryThe Unity Council seeks a creative, organized, and focused Development & Communications Associate to serve as an integral part of the fundraising and marketing activities for the organization.
This person will bring enthusiasm, attention to detail, and strong writing and editing skills to the department, and will contribute to key aspects of the organization’s growth by mastering the nuts and bolts functions of a successful fundraising operation. This role will be responsible for maintaining great data and implementing processes that ensure we are collecting accurate donor and prospect data, a vital component of our fundraising efforts. This person will collaborate with Development and program staff to write strong grant proposals, develop creative marketing collateral for clients, staff, and supporters, and help to represent the work of The Unity Council to our external audiences and in our community.
Fund Development Administration
- Generates data queries, reports (including monthly fundraising report), other exports, merges, and imports.
- Update, maintain, and track individual donor records in eTapestry donor database.
- Update grant funder profiles and track grant submissions and awards in eTapestry database.
- Assist with grant pipeline management, including following up with previous submitted grants and conducting prospect research.
- Create and manage donor lists, and work with staff to ensure effective segmentation and coordination of mailing lists.
- Design and produce reports to track progress to goals and foster strategic analysis of campaigns, appeals, and donor/grantor relationship management.
Donor pipeline management
- Manage process for tracking incoming donations. Create and print thank you letters.
- Assist Development & Communications department with face-to-face donor cultivation and stewardship meetings by helping to set up meetings, manage communications, and track outcomes and next steps.
- Assist with direct mail solicitations and e-mail campaigns for individual donors for all campaigns (monthly donors, Annual Fund, etc.) Write content, select/design graphics and photos, and copy edit.
- Assist in grant writing efforts, including working with staff to gather information and data, drafting proposals, and managing grant submissions.
- Manage and provide support for grant application process and grants administration and stewardship, proactively communicating the status and calendar for submissions.
- Assist in supporting production of program related communications and marketing materials, including flyers, social media ads, and brochures.
- Assist with website updates, social media ads, graphics, and posts.
- Support email and social media campaigns for Giving Tuesday, East Bay Gives, and others, as directed.
- Provide support for internal organizational events (all staff events, etc.) as directed.
- Support aspects of major events as assigned, including but not limited to Fruitvale Dia de los Muertos Festival; Golf Tournaments; Staff Holiday Party; and others.
- Provide administrative and stewardship support for sponsorships and grants for major events.
- Minimum 1 year nonprofit experience, especially in outreach, event management, development or communications departments.
- Skilled at and affinity for managing data well, preferably donor and gift data.
- Excellent written and verbal communications, including writing professional emails, answering calls, and technical writing.
- Enjoys project management and has demonstrated skill in this area.
- Extremely detail oriented with great follow-through. Can keep projects on track regardless of interruptions. Self-starter and team player.
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills and efficient worker.
- Can lead collaboration efforts in a positive and productive manner.
- Ability to quickly shift priorities to respond to new requests in a fast-paced environment.
- Bilingual in Spanish/English preferred.
- Knowledge of East Oakland communities, schools, and neighborhoods a plus.
- Fluency with Microsoft Office and Google products; Proficiency in Adobe CC a plus.
- Experience using donor database, preferably Blackbaud’s eTapestry database.
Please send us your cover letter and resume in application for this position. Use your cover letter to tell us why you will be great at this job and why you want to work in this field. Your cover letter will also be reviewed as a writing sample, so should show your excellent attention to detail and writing and editing skills.
Please put “title of position, your name” in the subject line.
The Unity Council
Attention: Human Resources
1900 Fruitvale Ave., Suite 2B, Oakland, CA 94601
Fax: (510) 535-6923
The Unity Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.