Community Programs: Small-Business Improvement Associate
Monday through Friday, occasional weekend
Local travel may be required
Regular, Full-time, Non-Exempt
Two weeks of paid vacation a year, sick time, 13 holidays, up to five floating holidays based on employee status; medical and dental benefits on the first of the month following 30 days of employment; life insurance policy at no cost to employee (with the option of increasing policy amount); flexible spending account for medical and dependent care costs, commuter benefits, 403(b) with employer match, and other benefits. We foster a joyful workplace and offer opportunities for professional development and growth.
The Unity Council is a nonprofit Social Equity Development Corporation with a 50-year history in the Fruitvale neighborhood of Oakland. Our mission is to promote social equity and improve quality of life by building vibrant communities where everyone can work, learn, and thrive.
Our programs aim to provide the community with the tools, knowledge, and resources to transform their lives and ultimately achieve their long-term educational, career, and financial goals. These holistic programs and services reach more than 8,000 individuals and families annually in five languages. Programs include: early childhood education, youth mentorship and leadership development, employment services, career readiness training, housing and financial stability, senior citizen services, affordable housing and neighborhood development, and arts and cultural events. The Unity Council employs a diverse workforce of more than 250 people who reflect the linguistic, cultural, and ethnic identity of the communities we serve. Our work expands beyond the Fruitvale district and now reaches across Oakland and into Concord.
The Community Programs department offers a spectrum of integrated services, aimed at removing barriers and developing skills and resources for youth, adults, seniors and small business owners to achieve and maintain equitable economic, career, health and housing outcomes. Services include 1) achievement, career and wellness youth programs; 2) employment and financial coaching and resources; 3) resident services, senior wellness, and housing access; and 4) resources and development for small business owners in the Fruitvale. Services are multi-lingual, culturally-rooted and available for Oakland or Alameda County residents (based on funding).
Position SummaryThe Unity Council seeks a dynamic individual with experience working with small businesses, who will work closely with a team to coordinate and implement activities of the Fruitvale BID. The Associate will be in close communication with small businesses in the district and representatives from City agencies.
- Coordinate volunteers
- Organize events such as a volunteer appreciation party
- Help implement all activities of the Fruitvale BID
- Report business and neighborhood problems to appropriate City agency or other responsible party
- Track all reports and resolutions to problems reported
- Develop and distribute promotional bilingual flyers
- Able to make phone calls to merchants and conduct visits to merchants in the commercial corridor
- Monitor business changes as required and collect required data on all business changes
- Able to work a few Saturdays in the summer and attend quarterly night meetings with merchants
- Assist in festival and event planning for events that take place throughout the year
- Help coordinate and carry out neighborhood beautification projects
- Minimum 1 year of experience with community organizing or working with small businesses and cooperatives
- Fully bilingual in English and Spanish
- Ability to employ creative problem solving skills
- Ability to work as a team member
- Strong analytical and computer skills with knowledge of various software
- High level of attention to detail
- Ability to work outside and conduct some physical activities, such as making art projects and light gardening for Earth day, etc.
- Multicultural competency in working with immigrant, low income and diverse communities
- Strong alignment and consistency with The Unity Council’s social equity values, mission and vision
Physical position requirements; machines and/or equipment used:
- Must be PC literate MS Office skills (Word and/or Excel).
- Regularly required to operate standard office equipment (personal computer, photocopy machine, calculator, fax machine, etc.).
- Ability to work on a computer up to 7 hours per day.
- Regularly required to sit for long periods of time, with periodic breaks.
- Regularly required to use hands to operate computer and other office equipment.
- Occasionally may be required to stoop, kneel, climb stairs, and carry or lift files.
- Background Check
Please send us your cover letter and resume in application for this position.
Please put “title of position, your name” in the subject line.
The Unity Council
Attention: Human Resources
1900 Fruitvale Ave., Suite 2B, Oakland, CA 94601
Fax: (510) 535-6923
The Unity Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.