Community Programs: Resident Services Coordinator
Sr. Manager Resident Services
Monday through Friday
Local travel may be required
$21-$23 per hour
Regular, Full-time, Non-Exempt
Two weeks of paid vacation a year, sick time, 13 holidays, up to five floating holidays based on employee status, medical and dental benefits on the first of the month following 30 days of employment, life insurance policy at no cost to employee (with the option of increasing policy amount), flexible spending account for medical and dependent care costs, commuter benefits, 403(b) with employer match, and other benefits. We foster a joyful workplace and offer opportunities for professional development and growth.
The Unity Council is a nonprofit Social Equity Development Corporation with a 50-year history in the Fruitvale neighborhood of Oakland. Our mission is to promote social equity and improve quality of life by building vibrant communities where everyone can work, learn, and thrive.
Our programs aim to provide the community with the tools, knowledge, and resources to transform their lives and ultimately achieve their long-term educational, career, and financial goals. These holistic programs and services reach more than 8,000 individuals and families annually in five languages. Programs include: early childhood education, youth mentorship and leadership development, employment services, career readiness training, housing and financial stability, senior citizen services, affordable housing and neighborhood development, and arts and cultural events. The Unity Council employs a diverse workforce of more than 250 people who reflect the linguistic, cultural, and ethnic identity of the communities we serve. Our work expands beyond the Fruitvale district and now reaches across Oakland and into Concord.
The Community Programs department offers a spectrum of integrated services, aimed at removing barriers and developing skills and resources for youth, adults, seniors and small business owners to achieve and maintain equitable economic, career, health and housing outcomes. Services include: 1) school-based achievement & mentoring programs and career youth programs; 2) employment and financial services and resources; 3) low-income resident services, senior wellness, and housing access; and 4) resources and development for small business owners in the Fruitvale. Services are multi-lingual, culturally-rooted and available for Oakland or Alameda County residents (based on funding).
Position SummaryThe Resident Services Coordinator provides activities and support to all families residing at the Casa Arabella housing complex, to promote community building, service utilization and maintain quality of life. This position is part of our Resident Services team and works closely with the Employment and Financial Services team within the Community Programs department.
- Provide needs assessment, one-on-one assistance, group activities, and referral services to all residents
- Plan and implement year-round in-house activities, presentations and events to build community and address residents’ needs
- Identify financial assistance and employment related needs, provide light coaching and job application assistance; link individuals to specialized staff at The Unity Council and externally as needed
- Address any transportation-related concerns, maintain a public transportation board and encourage residents to participate in transportation programs offered
- Monitor use of a computer station and play spaces for children when in the premises
- Actively coordinate with other organizations, businesses and City agencies to offer social, educational and health/wellness opportunities
- Promote activities and events through flyers, newsletters and a monthly calendar
- Make appropriate referrals and provide follow-up to ensure services are accessed
- Develop and maintain a welcome packet and distribute it to new residents
- Maintain confidentiality and privacy of residents according to guidelines, and immediately report incidents of abuse and neglect of persons or property to supervisor
- Follow protocols to collect resident and service data, maintain accurate data and produce reports
- Communicate regularly with Property Management staff, including attending site team meetings
- Coordinate with other service provides on site, and other programs of The Unity Council
- Other related responsibilities may exist or be added
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Psychology, or related field is preferred; a degree can be substituted with a high school diploma and 2 additional years of related experience
- Minimum 1 year related experience working with low income families or individuals, as a case manager, counselor, educator or navigator
- Knowledge of various systems and providers in Alameda County is strongly preferred, including health services, financial assistance programs, County social services, wrap around services, etc.
- High level of interpersonal skills necessary to work effectively and respectfully with a diverse population of cultural, ethnic and economic backgrounds, and persons with disabilities
- Have reliable attendance, be dependable, resourceful, and follow through with resident requests
- Motivated and able to work independently with minimal supervision, as well as in a team setting
- Ability to lead event set up
- Strong alignment with The Unity Council’s mission, vision and commitment to achieving social equity
- Bilingual in Spanish or another threshold language in Oakland is preferred
- Pass TB test and background check
- Advanced computer skills with strong MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and social media skills
- Regularly required to operate standard office equipment (personal computer, photocopier, fax, )
- Regularly required to sit for long periods of time, and occasionally stand and walk
- Regularly required to use hands to operate computer and other office equipment
- Must be able climb stairs, reach, bend, lift 15-00 pounds, crawl, kneel, stoop, and twist
This description is not an exhaustive list of responsibilities or requirements.
- Background check-fingerprint clearance
- TB Test
Please send us your cover letter and resume in application for this position.
Please put “title of position, your name” in the subject line.
The Unity Council
Attention: Human Resources
1900 Fruitvale Ave., Suite 2B, Oakland, CA 94601
Fax: (510) 535-6923
The Unity Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.