Community Programs: Community Engagement Assistant-Census
Employment Services Manager
Monday through Friday
Local travel is required and reimbursed
Temporary, Full-Time, Non-Exempt
The Unity Council is a nonprofit Social Equity Development Corporation with a 50-year history in the Fruitvale neighborhood of Oakland. Our mission is to promote social equity and improve quality of life by building vibrant communities where everyone can work, learn, and thrive.
Our programs aim to provide the community with the tools, knowledge, and resources to transform their lives and ultimately achieve their long-term educational, career, and financial goals. These holistic programs and services reach more than 8,000 individuals and families annually in five languages. Programs include: early childhood education, youth mentorship and leadership development, employment services, career readiness training, housing and financial stability, senior citizen services, affordable housing and neighborhood development, and arts and cultural events. The Unity Council employs a diverse workforce of more than 250 people who reflect the linguistic, cultural, and ethnic identity of the communities we serve. Our work expands beyond the Fruitvale district and now reaches across Oakland and into Concord.
The Community Programs department offers a spectrum of integrated services, aimed at removing barriers and developing skills and resources for youth, adults, seniors and small business owners to achieve and maintain equitable economic, career, health and housing outcomes. Services include: 1) school-based achievement & mentoring programs and career youth programs; 2) employment and financial services and resources; 3) low-income resident services, senior wellness, and housing access; and 4) resources and development for small business owners in the Fruitvale. Services are multi-lingual, culturally-rooted and available for Oakland or Alameda County residents (based on funding).
Position SummaryThe primary responsibility of the Community Engagement Assistant is to conduct outreach and education for Census and VITA activities and to welcome clients to the Career and Resource Center and to conduct intake, service orientations and referrals. The Engagement Assistant will review client intakes, link clients to the appropriate service and enter client data in the designated database. This position will coordinate scheduling with other staff and interns to ensure front desk coverage and will support the operations of the Center and the client computer room.
• Conduct community outreach to inform Spanish and Mam speakers about the Census 2020
• Conduct educational workshops in Spanish and Mam about the importance and to dispel myths and fears about participating in the Census 2020
• Provide excellent customer service to all individuals who come to, or call, the Career Center (in English, Spanish, Mam)
• Conduct client orientations, intake, and linkage to various internal programs
• Schedule client appointments with VITA services and career and housing staff
• Support clients with applying for CalFresh, ITIN numbers and other financial needs
• Support the Career Center Coordinator with monitoring the computer lab
• Support other activities of the career center as assigned
• Provide referrals to external partners and maintain current list of contacts
• Enter client intakes and service data into database and maintain paper records
• Observe client confidentiality and privacy
• Participate in coordinating activities and services with other staff
• Work collaboratively with all staff in Community Programs
• High school or GED completion required
• 6 months experience providing administrative support or reception services
• Multi-cultural competency and ability to work with persons from diverse backgrounds
• Friendly demeanor and able to provide excellent service to walk-in clients and guests
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
• Excellent verbal communication and ability to present information
• Bilingual in Spanish or Mam
• Knowledgeable in Microsoft Office, including Excel and Word
• Ability to work in an efficient manner with time sensitive tasks and manage timelines
• Advanced computer skills with strong MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and social media skills
• Regularly required to operate standard office equipment (personal computer, photocopier, fax, etc.)
• Regularly required to sit for long periods of time, and occasionally stand and walk
• Regularly required to use hands to operate computer and other office equipment
This description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities or requirements for the position. This position may change or assume additional duties at any time.
• Background Check
Please send us your cover letter and resume in application for this position.
Please put “title of position, your name” in the subject line.
The Unity Council
Attention: Human Resources
1900 Fruitvale Ave., Suite 2B, Oakland, CA 94601
Fax: (510) 535-6923
The Unity Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.