Community Programs: Career & Financial Coach
Employment Services Manager
Monday Through Friday
Local travel may be required
Regular, Full-time, Non-Exempt
Two weeks of paid vacation a year, sick time, 13 holidays, up to five floating holidays based on employee status; medical and dental benefits on the first of the month following 30 days of employment; life insurance policy at no cost to employee (with the option of increasing policy amount); flexible spending account for medical and dependent care costs, commuter benefits, 403(b) with employer match, and other benefits. We foster a joyful workplace and offer opportunities for professional development and growth.
The Unity Council is a nonprofit Social Equity Development Corporation with a 50-year history in the Fruitvale neighborhood of Oakland. Our mission is to promote social equity and improve quality of life by building vibrant communities where everyone can work, learn, and thrive.
Our programs aim to provide the community with the tools, knowledge, and resources to transform their lives and ultimately achieve their long-term educational, career, and financial goals. These holistic programs and services reach more than 8,000 individuals and families annually in five languages. Programs include: early childhood education, youth mentorship and leadership development, employment services, career readiness training, housing and financial stability, senior citizen services, affordable housing and neighborhood development, and arts and cultural events. The Unity Council employs a diverse workforce of more than 250 people who reflect the linguistic, cultural, and ethnic identity of the communities we serve. Our work expands beyond the Fruitvale district and now reaches across Oakland and into Concord.
The Community Programs department offers a spectrum of integrated services, aimed at removing barriers and developing skills and resources for youth, adults, seniors and small business owners to achieve and maintain equitable economic, career, health and housing outcomes. Services include: 1) school-based achievement & mentoring programs and career youth programs; 2) employment and financial services and resources; 3) low-income resident services, senior wellness, and housing access; and 4) resources and development for small business owners in the Fruitvale. Services are multi-lingual, culturally-rooted and available for Oakland or Alameda County residents (based on funding).
Position SummaryThe Career and Financial Coach provides a range of services to job seekers, including career coaching, job readiness training, job placement, placement into certificated training programs, financial support screening, and financial education and resources. The Coach will provide services to eligible adults to develop skills and remove barriers to success, in order to meet their career and financial goals, and help them enhance their economic self-sufficiency and career mobility. This position will be based at our Career and Resource Center at 1900 Fruitvale Ave.
- Assess individuals for eligibility and enroll into various career and educational services.
- Create individualized career and financial plans, set action items and follow up with clients as needed.
- Follow processes to place clients into vocational training programs and On-the-Job Training agreements.
- Identify potential barriers to success and provide case management, supportive service navigation and referrals to remove or reduce barriers (for a maximum of 20 active client caseload).
- Conduct orientations and service presentations to interested individuals.
- Co-facilitate job readiness and skill building workshops for individuals and small groups.
- Orient clients to career pathways in various sectors, with a focus on transportation, logistics and construction.
- Follow-up with clients post job placement to assess retention and provide additional support as needed.
- Gather baseline financial and credit information and refer clients to Financial Services Specialist as needed.
- Follow data entry and quality assurance protocols to maintain client files and service data for registered participants including intake form, credit report, case notes and individual plans.
- Participate in planning career fairs, and other recruitment strategies.
- Work collaboratively with other internal programs, external partners, businesses and training providers.
- Attend team meetings, training and supervision as scheduled.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred; a college degree may be substituted with two additional years of experience highlighted below.
- A minimum of one-year experience in career or educational counseling with adults, providing social services, or in the transportation and logistics sector.
- A minimum of one-year experience working with low income, diverse populations with multiple barriers to employment.
- Ability to present information that is easy to comprehend for clients with varying education levels.
- Experience with case management or managing client accounts is highly desired.
- Outstanding organizational and analytical skills, with excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Capacity to assume responsibility for achieving outcomes, balance competing priorities and deadlines, and demonstrate resourcefulness and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work as a team member and possess an enthusiastic and collaborative approach.
- Strong alignment with The Unity Council’s social equity values, mission and vision.
- Bilingual skills are desired (in Spanish or Mam).
- Advanced computer skills with strong MS Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and social media skills.
- Regularly required to operate standard office equipment (personal computer, photocopier, fax, etc.)
- Regularly required to sit for long periods of time, and occasionally stand and walk.
- Regularly required to use hands to operate computer and other office equipment.
- TB test
Please send us your cover letter and resume in application for this position.
Please put “title of position, your name” in the subject line.
The Unity Council
Attention: Human Resources
1900 Fruitvale Ave., Suite 2B, Oakland, CA 94601
Fax: (510) 535-6923
The Unity Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.