Children & Family Services: Administrative Assistant I
Children & Family Services
Monday through Friday
Local travel may be required
Part-Time, Regular, Non-Exempt
The Unity Council is a nonprofit Social Equity Development Corporation with a 50-year history in the Fruitvale neighborhood of Oakland. Our mission is to promote social equity and improve quality of life by building vibrant communities where everyone can work, learn, and thrive.
Our programs aim to provide the community with the tools, knowledge, and resources to transform their lives and ultimately achieve their long-term educational, career, and financial goals. These holistic programs and services reach more than 8,000 individuals and families annually in five languages. Programs include: early childhood education, youth mentorship and leadership development, employment services, career readiness training, housing and financial stability, senior citizen services, affordable housing and neighborhood development, and arts and cultural events. The Unity Council employs a diverse workforce of more than 250 people who reflect the linguistic, cultural, and ethnic identity of the communities we serve. Our work expands beyond the Fruitvale district and now reaches across Oakland and into Concord.
The Children and Family Services programs include Head Start, Early Head Start, State Pre-Kindergarten, Home Based Services, and Developmental Play Groups. Over 900 children birth through kindergarten entry and 32 expectant parents and their families receive child development and comprehensive family services through the Unity Council. The programs are diverse, multilingual, developmentally appropriate, culturally responsive, and individualized for each child and family services are provided in four centers and two home based programs throughout Oakland and Monument Corridor neighborhood in Concord, CA.
The duties and responsibilities include but not limited to the following:
- Answer and screen all incoming phone calls;
- Greet parents, staff, children and community visitors;
- Organizing files, completing and filing correspondence, entering program data on computer;
- Perform additional duties as assigned by supervisor or management
- Minimum one year in an administrative setting;
- Excellent phone and organizational skills
- Computer Literate on PC, Microsoft, MS Word, Excel and Publisher
- Ability to work harmoniously in a multi-cultural team;
- Awareness of safe lifting techniques and safe operation and use of computer and other office equipment;
- Bilingual Spanish/English
This description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities or requirements for the position. This position may change or assume additional duties at any time.
Physical exam, TB test, background/fingerprint clearance, measles, pertussis immunizations