Children & Family Services: Temporary Home Visitor
Social Services Manager
Children & Family Services
Monday through Friday
Locan travel is required
$17.02-$21.05 per hour depending on education
Temporary, Full-time, Non-Exempt
The Unity Council is a nonprofit Social Equity Development Corporation with a 50-year history in the Fruitvale neighborhood of Oakland. Our mission is to promote social equity and improve quality of life by building vibrant communities where everyone can work, learn, and thrive.
Our programs aim to provide the community with the tools, knowledge, and resources to transform their lives and ultimately achieve their long-term educational, career, and financial goals. These holistic programs and services reach more than 8,000 individuals and families annually in five languages. Programs include: early childhood education, youth mentorship and leadership development, employment services, career readiness training, housing and financial stability, senior citizen services, affordable housing and neighborhood development, and arts and cultural events. The Unity Council employs a diverse workforce of more than 250 people who reflect the linguistic, cultural, and ethnic identity of the communities we serve. Our work expands beyond the Fruitvale district and now reaches across Oakland and into Concord.
The Children and Family Services programs include Head Start, Early Head Start, State Pre-Kindergarten, Home Based Services, and Developmental Play Groups. Over 900 children birth through kindergarten entry and 32 expectant parents and their families receive child development and comprehensive family services through the Unity Council. The programs are diverse, multilingual, developmentally appropriate, culturally responsive, and individualized for each child and family services are provided in four centers and two home based programs throughout Oakland and Monument Corridor neighborhood in Concord, CA.
The duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Work with families in their homes on a weekly basis (1.5 hrs per family per week)to recognize existing strengths and identify goals for their children and the family as a whole;
- Develop an individualized curriculum with the parent for the child enrolled at the weekly meeting;
- Assist parents in attainment of goals set in their Individual Family Service Plan/IFPA;
- Role model developmentally appropriate teaching techniques;
- Provide resources to the parent on topics requested;
- Work in partnership with the program Coordinators and Specialists to provide comprehensive individualized family service;
- Participate in parent training and activities as required;
- Attend regular staff meetings;
- Use observations to complete developmental screens and ongoing assessments of children in assigned group;
- Perform additional duties as assigned by management.
- Maintain a case load of 10 to 12 families;
- Assist with In-Kind documentation;
- Keep contact documentation on the families through S.O.A.P. charting;
- Enter all relevant family information into Child Plus system;
- Attend monthly case conferences and regular staff meetings;
- Ongoing outreach and recruitment within service area;
- AA/BA in Social Service area or family development credential (FDC) (willing to obtain FDC credential) and take at least 3 ECE units per semester within first 18 months of employment (total of 12 units).
- Knowledge of family systems and community resources;
- Experience working with children and families; Valid California Driver’s License, good driving record (provide DMV print out); and proof of automobile insurance;
- Ability to teach others the importance of play based curriculum;
- Ability to work harmoniously in a multicultural team;
- Awareness of safe lifting techniques and a commitment to using preventative health measures to prevent the spread of disease;
- Caring, compassionate approach to working with children and families;
- Bilingual Spanish./English
Must be able climb stairs, reach, bend, lift 20-30 pounds, crawl, kneel, stoop, twist, grasp with hands and fingers materials, use arms and legs, able to walk, climb ladders if applicable.
- Physical exam
- TB test
- MMR and TDAP immunizations
- Background/Fingerprint clearance
Please send us your cover letter and resume in application for this position.
Please put “title of position, your name” in the subject line.
The Unity Council
Attention: Human Resources
1900 Fruitvale Ave., Suite 2B, Oakland, CA 94601
Fax: (510) 535-6923
The Unity Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.