Children & Family Services: Temporary Cook I
Children & Family Services
Monday through Friday
Temporary, Full-time, Non-Exempt
The Unity Council is a nonprofit Social Equity Development Corporation with a 50-year history in the Fruitvale neighborhood of Oakland. Our mission is to promote social equity and improve quality of life by building vibrant communities where everyone can work, learn, and thrive.
Our programs aim to provide the community with the tools, knowledge, and resources to transform their lives and ultimately achieve their long-term educational, career, and financial goals. These holistic programs and services reach more than 8,000 individuals and families annually in five languages. Programs include: early childhood education, youth mentorship and leadership development, employment services, career readiness training, housing and financial stability, senior citizen services, affordable housing and neighborhood development, and arts and cultural events. The Unity Council employs a diverse workforce of more than 250 people who reflect the linguistic, cultural, and ethnic identity of the communities we serve. Our work expands beyond the Fruitvale district and now reaches across Oakland and into Concord.
The duties and responsibilities include but not limited to the following:
- Assist and support Head Cook or Cook in preparation of all necessary meals and snacks;
- Assist in serving food and in cleanup of all eating areas;
- Keep kitchen and eating areas in immaculate, sanitary condition;
- Help support janitorial staff by cleaning bathrooms, hallways, dumping lunch garbage
- Perform additional duties as assigned by supervisor or management
- Prior experience in food preparation or janitorial work desirable
- Ability to help maintain clean and sanitary conditions in the kitchen;
- Ability to work harmoniously in a multicultural team;
- Bilingual Spanish/English or Asian Language/English preferred;
- Awareness and commitment to safe use of all equipment and supplies and safe lifting techniques.
Must be able climb stairs, reach, bend, lift 20-30 pounds, crawl, kneel, stoop, twist, grasp with hands and fingers materials, use arms and legs, able to walk, climb ladders if applicable.
Physical exam, TB test, background/fingerprint clearance, measles, pertussis immunizations.
Please send us your cover letter and resume in application for this position.
Please put “title of position, your name” in the subject line.
The Unity Council
Attention: Human Resources
1900 Fruitvale Ave., Suite 2B, Oakland, CA 94601
Fax: (510) 535-6923
The Unity Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.