Children & Family Services: Family Advocate
Social Services & Eligibility Coordinator
Children & Family Services
Oakland, CA or Concord, CA
Monday through Friday
Local travel may be required
Regular, Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Two weeks of paid vacation a year, sick time, 13 holidays, up to five floating holidays based on employee status, medical and dental benefits on the first of the month following 30 days of employment, life insurance policy at no cost to employee (with the option of increasing policy amount), flexible spending account for medical and dependent care costs, commuter benefits, 403(b) with employer match, and other benefits. We foster a joyful workplace and offer opportunities for professional development and growth.
The Unity Council is a nonprofit Social Equity Development Corporation with a 50-year history in the Fruitvale neighborhood of Oakland. Our mission is to promote social equity and improve quality of life by building vibrant communities where everyone can work, learn, and thrive.
Our programs aim to provide the community with the tools, knowledge, and resources to transform their lives and ultimately achieve their long-term educational, career, and financial goals. These holistic programs and services reach more than 8,000 individuals and families annually in five languages. Programs include: early childhood education, youth mentorship and leadership development, employment services, career readiness training, housing and financial stability, senior citizen services, affordable housing and neighborhood development, and arts and cultural events. The Unity Council employs a diverse workforce of more than 250 people who reflect the linguistic, cultural, and ethnic identity of the communities we serve. Our work expands beyond the Fruitvale district and now reaches across Oakland and into Concord.
The Children and Family Services programs include Head Start, Early Head Start, State Pre-Kindergarten, Home Based Services, and Developmental Play Groups. Over 900 children birth through kindergarten entry and 32 expectant parents and their families receive child development and comprehensive family services through the Unity Council. The programs are diverse, multilingual, developmentally appropriate, culturally responsive, and individualized for each child and family services are provided in four centers and two home based programs throughout Oakland and Monument Corridor neighborhood in Concord, CA.
Family Advocate assists with enrollments conducts family interviews and assesses family needs and strengths. This position establishes and maintains accurate service record for each family. The family advocate interviews families to identify interest, concerns, services, strengths and refers families to community service providers. Family Advocates assist families with transition planning.
- Assist and support the Social Service coordinator in ascertaining comprehensive service needs and in identifying family strengths to help in meeting those needs, and providing resource and referrals to meet comprehensive family services in accordance with the Family Needs Assessment and Individualized Family Partnership Agreement to the assigned case load;
- Conduct Family Needs Assessment, including appropriate follow-up;
- Maintain a case load of up to 51 families;
- Perform all Enrollment and intake including HS and State eligibility applications;
- Assist with In-Kind documentation;
- Conduct Home Visits as needed;
- Keep contact documentation on the families through S.O.A.P. charting;
- Enter all relevant family information including daily attendance into Child Plus system and CDMIS;
- Attend monthly case conferences and regular staff meetings;
- Ongoing outreach and recruitment within service area;
- Perform additional duties as assigned by supervisor or management.
- AA/BA in Social Service area, (Psychology, Sociology, or related field) or family development credential (FDC) or relevant social services background (willing to obtain FDC credential within 18 months);
- Minimum of one year experience working with low-income children and families;
- Bilingual Spanish/English preferred;
- Caring, compassionate approach to working with children and families;
- Ability to work harmoniously in a multi-cultural team;
- Awareness of safe lifting techniques for lifting children, supplies and furnishings and commitment to using preventive health measures in the classroom to prevent the spread of disease.
This description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities or requirements for the position. This position may change or assume additional duties at any time.
Physical exam, TB test, Vaccinations and background/fingerprint clearance.
Please send us your cover letter and resume in application for this position.
Please put “title of position, your name” in the subject line.
The Unity Council
Attention: Human Resources
1900 Fruitvale Ave., Suite 2B, Oakland, CA 94601
Fax: (510) 535-6923
The Unity Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.