Children & Family Services: Eligibility & Enrollment Specialist
Children & Family Services
Monday through Friday
Local travel may be required
Regular, Full-time, Exempt
Two weeks of paid vacation a year, sick time, 13 holidays, up to five floating holidays based on employee status, medical and dental benefits on the first of the month following 30 days of employment, life insurance policy at no cost to employee (with the option of increasing policy amount), flexible spending account for medical and dependent care costs, commuter benefits, 403(b) with employer match, and other benefits. We foster a joyful workplace and offer opportunities for professional development and growth.
The Unity Council is a nonprofit Social Equity Development Corporation with a 50-year history in the Fruitvale neighborhood of Oakland. Our mission is to promote social equity and improve quality of life by building vibrant communities where everyone can work, learn, and thrive.
Our programs aim to provide the community with the tools, knowledge, and resources to transform their lives and ultimately achieve their long-term educational, career, and financial goals. These holistic programs and services reach more than 8,000 individuals and families annually in five languages. Programs include: early childhood education, youth mentorship and leadership development, employment services, career readiness training, housing and financial stability, senior citizen services, affordable housing and neighborhood development, and arts and cultural events. The Unity Council employs a diverse workforce of more than 250 people who reflect the linguistic, cultural, and ethnic identity of the communities we serve. Our work expands beyond the Fruitvale district and now reaches across Oakland and into Concord.
The Children and Family Services programs include Head Start, Early Head Start, State Pre-Kindergarten, CCTR, Home Based Services, and Developmental Play Groups. Over 900 children birth through kindergarten entry and 32 expectant parents and their families receive child development and comprehensive family services through the Unity Council. The programs are diverse, multilingual, developmentally appropriate, culturally responsive, and individualized for each child, family services are provided in four centers, and two home based programs throughout Oakland and Monument Corridor neighborhood in Concord, CA.
- Conducts interviews with families to verify age, income and residence eligibility according to Head Start/Early Head Start Federal Guidelines, California Department of Education (CSPP and CCTR)
- Completes accurate documentation of required enrollment, eligibility and need status for infant, toddler and preschool, according to CDE Funding Terms and Conditions (CCTR and CSPP) , and any other designated funded.
- Provides documentation and support to families in obtaining necessary verification of eligibility and need.
- Completes all required reports for enrollment, and attendance, on a timely basis.
- Supports families in completion of paperwork and documentation requirements for Head Start/Early Head Start enrollment, CSPP and CCTR documentation (CD9600, CD9600A, CDE #1, and Notice of Action Form) and provides follow-up.
- Recertifies families for CDE (CCTR and CSPP) program annually or as eligibility and need status change.
- Understands and implements policies and procedures contained in Funding Terms and Conditions for each CDE contract as it pertains to eligibility and need documentation.
- Assists in monitoring child attendance records, analyzes data collected, and follows up on irregular attendance.
- Performs computer data entry, filing, note taking, and other administrative duties as needed.
- Monitors all CCTR and CSPP files for compliance and accuracy on a monthly basis and submits reports to Compliance Manager;
- Attends Alameda and Contra Costa County Eligibility workgroup meetings and state funded administrator’s meetings as needed
- Actively conducts outreach activities and recruits families to ensure full enrollment (100%) and a minimum of a 20% waiting list.
- AA or BA degree or higher degree in Sociology, Psychology, Social welfare or related field;
- One or more years of experience working with children and families in a child development/child care,
health or social services setting, including supervisory experience. Strongly prefer experience in a multi-site program and knowledge of childcare practices and licensing regulations;
- In-depth knowledge on CDE eligibility guidelines and processes for enrollment under the CCTR and CSPP programs;
- Knowledge of Head Start eligibility guidelines preferred;
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Possession of a valid California drivers’ license; current personal vehicle insurance, or safe driving record sufficient to ensure insurability through Agency policy;
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus. Physical ability to sit with children on their level, lift infants, toddlers, and occasionally preschoolers. Commitment to utilize safe lifting techniques for lifting children, supplies and furnishings
This description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities or requirements for the position. This position may change or assume additional duties at any time.
- Physical exam
- TB test
- MMR and TDAP immunizations
- Background/Fingerprint clearance
Please send us your cover letter and resume in application for this position.
Please put “title of position, your name” in the subject line.
The Unity Council
Attention: Human Resources
1900 Fruitvale Ave., Suite 2B, Oakland, CA 94601
Fax: (510) 535-6923
The Unity Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply