Children & Family Services: Early Childhood Education Coach Coordinator
Children & Family Services
Monday through Friday
Local travel may be required
Regular, Full-time, Non-Exempt
Two weeks of paid vacation a year, sick time, 13 holidays, up to five floating holidays based on employee status, medical and dental benefits on the first of the month following 30 days of employment, life insurance policy at no cost to employee (with the option of increasing policy amount), flexible spending account for medical and dependent care costs, commuter benefits, 403(b) with employer match, and other benefits. We foster a joyful workplace and offer opportunities for professional development and growth.
The Unity Council is a nonprofit Social Equity Development Corporation with a 50-year history in the Fruitvale neighborhood of Oakland. Our mission is to promote social equity and improve quality of life by building vibrant communities where everyone can work, learn, and thrive.
Our programs aim to provide the community with the tools, knowledge, and resources to transform their lives and ultimately achieve their long-term educational, career, and financial goals. These holistic programs and services reach more than 8,000 individuals and families annually in five languages. Programs include: early childhood education, youth mentorship and leadership development, employment services, career readiness training, housing and financial stability, senior citizen services, affordable housing and neighborhood development, and arts and cultural events. The Unity Council employs a diverse workforce of more than 250 people who reflect the linguistic, cultural, and ethnic identity of the communities we serve. Our work expands beyond the Fruitvale district and now reaches across Oakland and into Concord.
The Children and Family Services programs include Head Start, Early Head Start, State Pre-Kindergarten, Home Based Services, and Developmental Play Groups. Over 900 children birth through kindergarten entry and 32 expectant parents and their families receive child development and comprehensive family services through the Unity Council. The programs are diverse, multilingual, developmentally appropriate, culturally responsive, and individualized for each child and family services are provided in four centers and two home based programs throughout Oakland and Monument Corridor neighborhood in Concord, CA.
Position SummaryProvide coaching and training to teachers based on the curriculum that reflect the cultural values and diversity of the families served while ensuring school readiness goals are successfully met. In collaboration with Center Directors, the Coach promotes best practices in early childhood development based on Head Start Performance Standards.
• Observe Early Head Start/Head Start classrooms to create individual coaching plans and assess the professional development of teachers.
• Create coaching plan based the PBC (Practice-based Coaching) model;
• Collaborate with Center Directors and School Readiness Coordinators to create Professional Development Plans for the teaching team and assist teaching team on signing up for PD opportunities and additional courses;
• Foster curriculum development and provide input on school readiness goals, curriculum fidelity, CLASS, family engagement, and dual-language instruction.
• Train and orient teachers on best practices and provide resources to develop and enhance skills.
• Research and identify staff development opportunities.
• Plan and present small group workshops on relevant child development topics based on program monitoring outcomes.
• Provide guidance in conducting DRDP assessments, ASQs and intentional daily observations of children’s play, behavior, and interactions.
• Manage and oversee all teacher a home visitor professional development, qualifications, and permit renewals/applications;
• Participate in the annual child development Self-Assessment process.
• Other duties as assigned.
• BA Degree in Child Development, Early Childhood Education or related field;
• Three or more years of experience working with children ages 0-5 years of age in a classroom setting
• 3+ years community-based experience in a setting working with families and community organizations who have experienced poverty, crisis, trauma, and other adverse events.
• Program for Infant Toddler Care (PITC) experience.
• CLASS reliable (Pre-K) within 12 months of hire;
• Possession of a valid California drivers’ license; current personal vehicle insurance, or safe driving record sufficient to ensure insurability through Agency policy;
• The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus. Commitment to utilize safe lifting techniques for lifting children, supplies and furnishings;
This description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities or requirements for the position. This position may change or assume additional duties at any time.
Physical exam, TB test, Vaccinations and background/fingerprint clearance.
Please send us your cover letter and resume in application for this position.
Please put “title of position, your name” in the subject line.
The Unity Council
Attention: Human Resources
1900 Fruitvale Ave., Suite 2B, Oakland, CA 94601
Fax: (510) 535-6923
The Unity Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.