Children & Family Services: Driver/Maintenance II
Children & Family Services
Monday through Friday
Daily deliveries in Oakland with occasional work trips to Concord or special events offsite
Regular, Full-time, Non-Exempt
Two weeks of paid vacation a year, sick time, 13 holidays, up to five floating holidays based on employee status, medical and dental benefits on the first of the month following 30 days of employment, $25,000 life insurance policy at no cost to employee (with the option of increasing policy amount), flexible spending account for medical and dependent care costs, commuter benefits, 403(b) with employer match, and other benefits. We foster a joyful workplace and offer opportunities for professional development and growth.
The Unity Council is a nonprofit Social Equity Development Corporation with a 50-year history in the Fruitvale neighborhood of Oakland. Our mission is to promote social equity and improve quality of life by building vibrant communities where everyone can work, learn, and thrive.
Our programs aim to provide the community with the tools, knowledge, and resources to transform their lives and ultimately achieve their long-term educational, career, and financial goals. These holistic programs and services reach more than 8,000 individuals and families annually in five languages. Programs include: early childhood education, youth mentorship and leadership development, employment services, career readiness training, housing and financial stability, senior citizen services, affordable housing and neighborhood development, and arts and cultural events. The Unity Council employs a diverse workforce of more than 250 people who reflect the linguistic, cultural, and ethnic identity of the communities we serve. Our work expands beyond the Fruitvale district and now reaches across Oakland and into Concord.
The Children and Family Services programs include Head Start, Early Head Start, State Pre-Kindergarten, Home Based Services, and Developmental Play Groups. Over 900 children birth through kindergarten entry and 32 expectant parents and their families receive child development and comprehensive family services through the Unity Council. The programs are diverse, multilingual, developmentally appropriate, culturally responsive, and individualized for each child and family services are provided in four centers and two home based programs throughout Oakland and Monument Corridor neighborhood in Concord, CA.
• Transport food, supplies, and interoffice mail to centers in Oakland daily with occasional support to Concord and fieldtrips;
• Basic janitorial (i.e., sweeping the playground, taking out trash)
• Stocking of kitchen inventory and classroom materials;
• Transport furniture and other materials to offsite storage facility as requested;
• Perform maintenance work at various sites as requested;
• Responsible for maintaining all vehicles belonging to the CFS program;
• Assist families and children in safely parking and walking through the parking lot
• Perform additional duties as assigned by management.
• Attendance at regular staff meetings;
• Reliable and prompt to adhere to varied scheduled work time;
• Excellent communication skills;
• Ability to work harmoniously in a multi-cultural team;
• Caring, compassionate approach when working with families and children;
• Bilingual Spanish/English preferred;
• Awareness of safe lifting techniques for lifting supplies and furnishings.
• Basic knowledge necessary to maintain the program’s vehicles
• Clean Driving Record
This description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities or requirements for the position. This position may change or assume additional duties at any time.
• Able to bend, squat, reach, and lift often through each work day;
• Ability up to lift 50 pounds
Please send us your cover letter and resume in application for this position.
Please put “title of position, your name” in the subject line.
The Unity Council
Attention: Human Resources
1900 Fruitvale Ave., Suite 2B, Oakland, CA 94601
Fax: (510) 535-6923
The Unity Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.