Children & Family Services: Administrative Assistant III
Director of Children & Family Services
Children & Family Services
Monday through Friday
Local travel may be required
Regular, Full-Time, Non-Exemtp
Two weeks of paid vacation a year, sick time, 13 holidays, up to five floating holidays based on employee status, medical and dental benefits on the first of the month following 30 days of employment, life insurance policy at no cost to employee (with the option of increasing policy amount), flexible spending account for medical and dependent care costs, commuter benefits, 403(b) with employer match, and other benefits. We foster a joyful workplace and offer opportunities for professional development and growth.
The Unity Council is a nonprofit Social Equity Development Corporation with a 50-year history in the Fruitvale neighborhood of Oakland. Our mission is to promote social equity and improve quality of life by building vibrant communities where everyone can work, learn, and thrive.
Our programs aim to provide the community with the tools, knowledge, and resources to transform their lives and ultimately achieve their long-term educational, career, and financial goals. These holistic programs and services reach more than 8,000 individuals and families annually in five languages. Programs include: early childhood education, youth mentorship and leadership development, employment services, career readiness training, housing and financial stability, senior citizen services, affordable housing and neighborhood development, and arts and cultural events. The Unity Council employs a diverse workforce of more than 250 people who reflect the linguistic, cultural, and ethnic identity of the communities we serve. Our work expands beyond the Fruitvale district and now reaches across Oakland and into Concord.
The Children and Family Services programs include Head Start, Early Head Start, State Pre-Kindergarten, Home Based Services, and Developmental Play Groups. Over 900 children birth through kindergarten entry and 32 expectant parents and their families receive child development and comprehensive family services through the Unity Council. The programs are diverse, multilingual, developmentally appropriate, culturally responsive, and individualized for each child and family services are provided in four centers and two home based programs throughout Oakland and Monument Corridor neighborhood in Concord, CA.
- Coordinate communications, including taking calls, responding to emails and interfacing with parents and clients;
- Prepare internal and external program documents for team members and funders;
- File, photocopy, sort mail and order supplies
- Handle confidential and sensitive materials, as well as those that require analyzing before composing detailed responses.
- Schedule meetings and appointments, arrange and coordinate events, and manage travel itineraries for staff.
- Arrange program events to take place outside of the work place, such as Leadership Team Meetings, business lunches/meetings, etc.
- Assist Compliance Manager and Director in preparing annual budget and funding applications;
- Approve office supply orders.
- Uphold a strict level of confidentiality.
- Develop and sustain a level of professionalism among staff and parents;
- Conduct research, collect and analyze data to prepare reports and documents.
- Document and distribute minutes of meetings.
- Participate in monthly Policy Council meetings and serve as interpreter;
- Liaise with internal staff at all levels.
- Prepare Director with the right documents and information for meetings.
- Act proactively and without much supervision, anticipating needs and following through.
This description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities or requirements for the position. This position may change or assume additional duties at any time.
- Excellent phone and organizational skills;
- Computer Literate on PC, Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint;
- Ability to use databases for data entry and extraction;
- Ability to work harmoniously in a multi-cultural team;
- Awareness of safe lifting techniques and safe operation and use of computer and other office equipment;
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse populations and personalities.
- Ability to effectively comprehend and respond to faculty and student requests in a prompt and professional manner.
- Strong problem solving and organizational skills including, managing multiple assignments, prioritizing tasks, setting deadlines, and initiating and completing projects on schedule without close supervision.
- Capacity to learn new skills and willingness to accept a wide range of tasks that arise in relation to department activities.
- Bilingual Spanish/English Required;
- Physical exam
- TB test
- MMR and TDAP immunizations
- Background/Fingerprint clearance
Please send us your cover letter and resume in application for this position.
Please put “title of position, your name” in the subject line.
The Unity Council
Attention: Human Resources
1900 Fruitvale Ave., Suite 2B, Oakland, CA 94601
Fax: (510) 535-6923
The Unity Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.