Administration: Executive Assistant
Monday through Friday
Local travel may be required
Regular, Full-time, Non-Exempt
Two weeks of paid vacation a year, sick time, 13 holidays, up to five floating holidays based on employee status, medical and dental benefits on the first of the month following 30 days of employment, life insurance policy at no cost to employee (with the option of increasing policy amount), flexible spending account for medical and dependent care costs, commuter benefits, 403(b) with employer match, and other benefits. We foster a joyful workplace and offer opportunities for professional development and growth.
The Unity Council is a nonprofit Social Equity Development Corporation with a 50-year history in the Fruitvale neighborhood of Oakland. Our mission is to promote social equity and improve quality of life by building vibrant communities where everyone can work, learn, and thrive.
Our programs aim to provide the community with the tools, knowledge, and resources to transform their lives and ultimately achieve their long-term educational, career, and financial goals. These holistic programs and services reach more than 8,000 individuals and families annually in five languages. Programs include: early childhood education, youth mentorship and leadership development, employment services, career readiness training, housing and financial stability, senior citizen services, affordable housing and neighborhood development, and arts and cultural events. The Unity Council employs a diverse workforce of more than 250 people who reflect the linguistic, cultural, and ethnic identity of the communities we serve. Our work expands beyond the Fruitvale district and now reaches across Oakland and into Concord.
Position SummaryThe Executive Assistant is a high level position that reports to the CEO. This position conducts high level administrative assignments and also provides general administrative and clerical support. On behalf of the CEO, the Executive Assistant provides support to the executive management staff and the Board of Directors. Duties will range from standard administrative tasks such as coordination of Board of Directors (BOD) meetings, meeting packet preparation and other BOD related documents managing CEO’s calendar to project manager type duties such as implementing special projects, performing research,, and on occasion conduct speaking engagements, . This is a high visibility position; the incumbent will not only interface with executive staff but government, funders and partners. The Executive Assistant will handle sensitive and confidential information and will also assist with the planning of special events and meetings.
- Coordinate all aspects of CEO travel
- Assist the CEO with various administrative projects or research as needed
- Manage and maintain calendars and appointments
- Create mailing labels and send donor thank you notes
- Maintains an organized filing system of paper and electronic documents.
- Provide the executive management team with needed administrative and clerical support Organize and maintain, file documents
- Manages all aspects of CEO communications, including taking calls, responding to emails and interfacing with governmental contractors, board members, donors, and clients.
Special Projects and Research
- Prepare CEO for speaking engagements with background summary and talking points
- Implement special assignments and research as requested by the CEO
Board of Directors:
- Coordinate and calendar meetings for The Unity Council and it’s subsidiaries
- Work with executive staff to prepare monthly board packet
- Take meeting minutes
- Track annual board activities and annual goals
- Maintain, organize and file all board related documents
- Track all board resolutions via excel spreadsheet
- Maintain up to date roster of current board members
- Prepare birthday cards and thank you cards for board members
- Order and pick up refreshments for meetings and events
- Coordinate annual special events for the board
Meetings and Events:
- Works closely with Fund Development and HR to coordinate standard annual events and special events as requested by CEO
- Identifies venues and works with vendors to produce cost effective events
- Coordinates some or all aspects of the events as assigned
- Attends Senior Executive staff meetings
- Coordinates with Senior Staff to ensure attendance at partner/funder events and conferences
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent related work and education experience
- 5 years of experience as administrative support, preferably to a C-Level executive
- Exceptional internal and external customer service skills and excellent attention to detail
- Experience in research and writing briefs
- Able to be flexible as tasks may change from day to day
- Must thrive in a fast-paced environment and be able handle multiple priorities, tasks and projects at once
- Previous experience working with non-profit organizations, working with children, and/or social work
- Highly motivated self-starter with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Exceptional attention to detail, organization skills and follow-through
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and appropriate discretion in all matters
- Demonstrates a high level of initiative and responsibility
- Demonstrates proficiency and accuracy in using MS Office products, including Word, Excel, and Outlook to include graphs, tables, and other spreadsheet functions
- Advanced business communication skills
- Open to flexible schedule (some early mornings and later evenings)
- Must have valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Bilingual, English and Spanish preferred
- How about including a bullet point – that related to TUC values – someone committed to mission to TUC mission and values, someone driven to help make neighborhood change, someone who sees themselves growing at the organization; opportunity for growth and professional development
- Physical position requirements; machines and/or equipment used:
- Regularly required to operate standard office equipment (personal computer, photocopy machine, calculator, fax machine, etc.).
- Ability to work on a computer up to 8 hours per day.
- Regularly required to sit for long periods of time, with periodic breaks.
- Regularly required to use hands to operate computer and other office equipment.
- Occasionally may be required to stoop, kneel, climb stairs, and carry or lift up to 15 lbs.
This description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities or requirements for the position. This position may change or assume additional duties at any time.
- Background check
Please send us your cover letter and resume in application for this position.
Please put “title of position, your name” in the subject line.
The Unity Council
Attention: Human Resources
1900 Fruitvale Ave., Suite 2B, Oakland, CA 94601
Fax: (510) 535-6923
The Unity Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.