Administration: Administrative Assistant
Program & Special Projects Manager
Monday through Friday
Local travel may be required
Regular, Full-time, Non-exempt
Two weeks of paid vacation a year, sick time, 13 holidays, up to five floating holidays based on employee status, medical and dental benefits on the first of the month following 30 days of employment, life insurance policy at no cost to employee (with the option of increasing policy amount), flexible spending account for medical and dependent care costs, commuter benefits, 403(b) with employer match, and other benefits. We foster a joyful workplace and offer opportunities for professional development and growth.
The Unity Council is a nonprofit Social Equity Development Corporation with a 50-year history in the Fruitvale neighborhood of Oakland. Our mission is to promote social equity and improve quality of life by building vibrant communities where everyone can work, learn, and thrive.
Our programs aim to provide the community with the tools, knowledge, and resources to transform their lives and ultimately achieve their long-term educational, career, and financial goals. These holistic programs and services reach more than 8,000 individuals and families annually in five languages. Programs include: early childhood education, youth mentorship and leadership development, employment services, career readiness training, housing and financial stability, senior citizen services, affordable housing and neighborhood development, and arts and cultural events. The Unity Council employs a diverse workforce of more than 250 people who reflect the linguistic, cultural, and ethnic identity of the communities we serve. Our work expands beyond the Fruitvale district and now reaches across Oakland and into Concord.
Position SummaryThe administrative assistant is responsible for overall front office activities, including the reception area, mail, large purchasing requests and facilities. Also responsible for directing and coordinating office services and related activities, including developing and supervising vendors for the maximum utilization of services and equipment. Responsible for arranging internal office moves and providing arrangements for office meetings.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
• Manage the reception area to ensure effective telephone and mail communications both internally and externally to maintain professional image.
• Coordinates overall administrative activities and office procedures.
• Maintains the Staff Directory and management of phone line tracking and assignment
• Maintains internal email group lists and ensures they are up to date.
• Vendor Management following the work order process.
• Supervises the maintenance and alteration of office areas and equipment, as well as layout, arrangement and housekeeping of office facilities.
• Maintains general office cleanliness and presentation.
• Maintains upkeep of kitchen including stocking of supplies, cleanliness.
• Manages the accounts and relations with general vendors such as office supply vendors, office equipment vendors such as copiers and postage meter, newspaper subscription (for main office only), etc., and negotiates contracts as needed for main office and all non-Head Start programs.
• Provides support for other programs and departments as needed.
• Processes orders for office supplies and furniture, office equipment, etc. for the entire staff excluding Head Start in accordance with company purchasing policies, green policy, and, budgetary restrictions.
• Supervises the maintenance of office equipment, including copier, fax machine, etc., for all non-Head Start sites.
• Processes the invoices for office supply vendors, furniture and equipment vendors.
• Responsible for the facilities day-to-day operations (such as distributing mail, building access keys and back-up to security access cards, etc)
• Maintain & create multiple Outlook Calendars for meetings, appointments and schedule of events (laptop/projector set up).
• Sets up laptop equipment, food purchases and other supplies as needed for meetings as needed.
• Supervises Community Program Interns when assigned.
• Work space planning, set up, preparation, etc. for new hires and office changes.
• With the direction of IT Manager, ensures setup of new staff pertaining to email account setup, phone number assignment, printing and scanning functions.
• Welcome and assist new employees with desk set-up, office supplies, welcome board, email, phone, etc., and, office orientation (On-boarding FAQs).
• Work collaboratively with all departments.
• Assist CEO/COO/Program & Special Projects Manager with administrative tasks and projects.
• Proven experience as an Administrative Assistant or Office Coordinator.
• Knowledge of office administrator responsibilities, systems and procedures.
• Proficiency in MS Office (Excel, Outlook, Word).
• Ability to work independently.
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize work.
• Attention to detail, problem solving skills and excellent communication skills.
• Customer service oriented.
• Strong organizational and planning skills in a fast-paced environment.
• A creative mind with an ability to suggest improvements.
• High School degree.
This description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities or requirements for the position. This position may change or assume additional duties at any time.
• Background Check
Please send us your cover letter and resume in application for this position.
Please put “title of position, your name” in the subject line.
The Unity Council
Attention: Human Resources
1900 Fruitvale Ave., Suite 2B, Oakland, CA 94601
Fax: (510) 535-6923
The Unity Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.