Accounting & Finance: Accounts Payable Specialist
Accounting & Finance
Monday through Friday
Local travel may be required
$21.63-$28.84 per hour
Regular, Full-time, Non-Exempt
Two weeks of paid vacation a year, sick time, 13 holidays, up to five floating holidays based on employee status, medical and dental benefits on the first of the month following 30 days of employment, life insurance policy at no cost to employee (with the option of increasing policy amount), flexible spending account for medical and dependent care costs, commuter benefits, 403(b) with employer match, and other benefits. We foster a joyful workplace and offer opportunities for professional development and growth.
The Unity Council is a nonprofit Social Equity Development Corporation with a 50-year history in the Fruitvale neighborhood of Oakland. Our mission is to promote social equity and improve quality of life by building vibrant communities where everyone can work, learn, and thrive.
Our programs aim to provide the community with the tools, knowledge, and resources to transform their lives and ultimately achieve their long-term educational, career, and financial goals. These holistic programs and services reach more than 8,000 individuals and families annually in five languages. Programs include: early childhood education, youth mentorship and leadership development, employment services, career readiness training, housing and financial stability, senior citizen services, affordable housing and neighborhood development, and arts and cultural events. The Unity Council employs a diverse workforce of more than 250 people who reflect the linguistic, cultural, and ethnic identity of the communities we serve. Our work expands beyond the Fruitvale district and now reaches across Oakland and into Concord.
Position SummaryThis position reports directly to the Finance Manager and is characterized by great attention to detail, strict adherence to company policies and internal controls. Must have the ability to communicate clearly with staff and outside vendors. The position includes the processing of all invoices and proper expense distribution of the resulting payments. Must understand and be able to reconcile general ledger accounts. The position works closely with the Finance Manager and Grant Staff Accountant to ensure accurate account coding and fund allocations, as well as accounts payable reconciliations for the month-end and year-end closing process. This position required to cooperate with and support other account staff and departments.
Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Review all invoices for appropriate documentation and approval prior to payment.
- Work with accountants, program staff to determine coding of invoices and inquiries.
- Perform weekly check run following accounts payable processing schedule. Processing payments for all requests, vendor invoices, and employee expense reports.
- Reconcile vendor statements and maintain strong vendor relationships: resolve incorrect payment allocations and other account disputes to ensure ongoing purchase ability.
- Set-up and maintain ACH information for payees.
- Produce all reports for month-end processing to ensure accurate accounting of all outstanding invoices. General ledger account reconciliations.
- Reconcile and process monthly company’s credit card statement and ACH payment.
- Create and maintain vendor files, and obtain W-9 for all new vendors.
- Prepare 1099’s at year-end for all eligible vendors, contractors, and suppliers. File 1096.
- Initiate stop payments and request cancelled checks from bank, as needed.
- Submit positive pay activity to bank.
- Ensure optimal use of corporate funds and maximize cash flow by paying invoices according to terms and coordinating cash flow needs with the Finance Manager and/or the Controller.
- Assist with all audit inquiries, copies, etc.
- Assist with expense accruals calculations.
- Prepare monthly accounts payable Aging and Accounts Payable Closing Schedule.
- Develop, implement and maintain systems, procedures and policies, including accounts payable functions to ensure adherence to company guidelines.
- Perform additional duties as may be assigned.
- Three plus years, processing high volume of invoices for multiple programs/entities.
- AA degree accounting, finance, or equivalent experience.
- Experience with vendor account setup, including establishing terms and pricing.
- Experience with processing W-9 and 1099s.
- Knowledge of property management accounting, desired.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to support personnel and management.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Highly detailed and excellent customer service skills.
- Able to educate internal clients on accounting principles.
- Effective planning and organizational skills to balance and prioritize work.
Physical position requirements; machines and/or equipment used:
- Must be PC literate MS Office skills (Word and/or Excel).
- Regularly required to operate standard office equipment (personal computer, photocopy machine, calculator, fax machine, etc.).
- Ability to work on a computer up to 7 hours per day.
- Regularly required to sit for long periods of time, with periodic breaks.
- Regularly required to use hands to operate computer and other office equipment.
- Occasionally may be required to stoop, kneel, climb stairs, and carry or lift files and/or one or two reams of copy paper.
- Standard office environment without unpleasant or hazardous conditions.
- Work entails typical physical demands involved in office work.
This description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities or requirements for the position. This position may change or assume additional duties at any time.
- background check
Please send us your cover letter and resume in application for this position.
Please put “title of position, your name” in the subject line.
The Unity Council
Attention: Human Resources
1900 Fruitvale Ave., Suite 2B, Oakland, CA 94601
Fax: (510) 535-6923
The Unity Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.