Accountig: Payroll Specialist
Finance & Acoounting
Monday through Friday
Local travel may be required
Regular, Full-time, Non-exempt
Two weeks of paid vacation a year, sick time, 13 holidays, up to five floating holidays based on employee status, medical and dental benefits on the first of the month following 30 days of employment, life insurance policy at no cost to employee (with the option of increasing policy amount), flexible spending account for medical and dependent care costs, commuter benefits, 403(b) with employer match, and other benefits. We foster a joyful workplace and offer opportunities for professional development and growth.
The Unity Council is a nonprofit Social Equity Development Corporation with a 50-year history in the Fruitvale neighborhood of Oakland. Our mission is to promote social equity and improve quality of life by building vibrant communities where everyone can work, learn, and thrive.
Our programs aim to provide the community with the tools, knowledge, and resources to transform their lives and ultimately achieve their long-term educational, career, and financial goals. These holistic programs and services reach more than 8,000 individuals and families annually in five languages. Programs include: early childhood education, youth mentorship and leadership development, employment services, career readiness training, housing and financial stability, senior citizen services, affordable housing and neighborhood development, and arts and cultural events. The Unity Council employs a diverse workforce of more than 250 people who reflect the linguistic, cultural, and ethnic identity of the communities we serve. Our work expands beyond the Fruitvale district and now reaches across Oakland and into Concord.
Position SummaryThis position reports directly to the Finance Manager, and is characterized by strong organizational skills, quality decision-making, accountability, attention to detail and discretion. The position will be responsible owning the payroll and AP processes. Lead the TUC/PSC payroll cycle, process our weekly check run, and works closely with Human Resources and the Finance Manager to ensure accurate processing of related payroll status changes and invoice distributions.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
• Overall responsibility for processing payroll The Unity Council and related subsidiaries, with extensive fund and program allocations
• Review timesheets for accuracy in ADP payroll system (Close time & attend system each payroll cycle)
• Update medical, dental, life and workers’ comp insurance rates in ADP as necessary
• Enters garnishments and payroll deductions
• Produce periodic payroll reports as needed for benefits payments and general ledger reconciliation
• Quarterly reconciliations of payroll tax returns to general ledger accounts
• Monthly reconciliation of worker’s comp liability and 403b retirement plan
• Review payroll data, provide cost allocation analyst report by fund each month, before payroll data upload to accounting software
• Under the direction of the Accounting Supervisor and/or Controller, prepare departmental employee payroll cost estimates for various agency program and grant budgets
• Prepare year-end payroll reconciliations and provide support documentation for annual audits and Form 990’s
• Support and resolve inquiries from our employees
• Ensure timely remittance of 403b deferrals, FSA, HSA and Commuter
• Assist with 403B audit, workers comp audit and financial audit
• Audit W-4s, payroll reports, YTD earnings, etc.
• Maintain strict confidentiality in all aspects of the job
• Perform additional duties as may be assigned
30% Accounts Payable:
• Monitor daily cash transactions and bank balances and provide weekly cash flow and disbursement reports to the Finance Manager
• Manage bank function include: stop payment, research questionable items on bank statement, positive pay, and set up ACH payment.
• Manage accounts payable including the weekly payment run
• Process, review and categorize vendor invoices
• Support and resolve inquiries from our vendors and employees
• AA or BA degree in Accounting, 3 or more years’ experience in job costing and/or nonprofit or government accounting
• Experience with detailed job costing allocations
• Strong organizational skills
• Knowledge of general accounting, with emphasis on job costing and/or fund accounting
• Nonprofit accounting experience required
• Ability to keep organized, accurate record
• Ability to present financial information in an organized, understandable manner for both financial and non-financial audiences
• Ability to prioritize in a dynamic, high-paced environment
• Highly proficient in Microsoft Excel
• Experienced in Accufund or fund-accounting software
• Experienced in ADP Payroll Software
Physical Position Requirements; Machines and/or equipment used:
• Must be PC literate MS Office skills (Word and/or Excel);
• Regularly required to operate standard office equipment (personal computer, photocopy machine, calculator, fax machine, etc.);
• Ability to work on a computer up to 7 hours per day;
• Regularly required to sit for long periods of time, with periodic breaks;
• Regularly required to use hands to operate computer and other office equipment;
• Close vision required for computer usage;
• Standard office environment without unpleasant or hazardous conditions. Work entails typical physical demands involved in office work. The Controller usually works a standard work week and may be required to work some overtime hours during specific periods of the accounting cycle such as the Annual Audit.
This description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities or requirements for the position. This position may change or assume additional duties at any time.
• Background Check
Please send us your cover letter and resume in application for this position.
Please put “title of position, your name” in the subject line.
The Unity Council
Attention: Human Resources
1900 Fruitvale Ave., Suite 2B, Oakland, CA 94601
Fax: (510) 535-6923
The Unity Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.