Join us for the 22nd Annual Fruitvale Día de Los Muertos Festival, scheduled for Sunday, October 29, 2017 from 10am to 5pm in the Fruitvale Village! Our theme this year is Life, Art, Oakland.
Create An Altar
Download the Altar Applications here:
Whether you are a professional artist, student, or community member, we invite you to commemorate someone special, a group of people, or a cause with a traditional altar. The altares are the heart and soul of Día.
There will be space for twenty (20) 10ft x 10ft altars at the festival. Please read the required components on page 2 of the Altar Application so you understand aspects requested for each altar. Then fill out the form, include a sketch or diagram of your proposed altar, and submit it for consideration. Each artist will receive a small stipend to offset the costs of the materials.
We receive many applications for creating altars at the Día de los Muertos festival. The Unity Council will give preference to altar applications with the following characteristics:
- Incorporation of most of the traditional elements listed on the following page
- Past participation in Día de los Muertos Festival and high quality work in the past
- Application received on time and complete and submitted through the proper channels
- Relationship to the 2017 theme: Life, Art, Oakland
- Application contains drawing, sketch, diagram, or photographs of altar proposal
- Artists from Fruitvale or neighboring areas in Oakland will be given priority
If selected, the altar will be a 10ft x 10ft space (A 10ft x 10ft space is the size of a parking space). A canopy and table will be provided, but you will be responsible for filling that space with your creations. A small stipend payable on the day of the event will be awarded for supplies. You will also be required to be present the day of the event to build and narrate your creation. At the end of the day you will need to dismantle and remove it.
- Applications are due September 15th, 2017 by 5pm
- Artists who are selected will be notified by September 29th, 2017
- Mandatory orientation Friday, October 13th, 2017
- The Día de los Muertos Festival is on Sunday, October 29th, 2017
How to submit:
In Person: Turn in your application at The Unity Council, 1900 Fruitvale Ave, 2nd floor, Suite 2A
Online: Upload your application to https://www.dropbox.com/request/oQmqMthMqPgce82WpceR
*You do not need a Dropbox account, only access to the internet. Email email@example.com for help.